In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Clark Custom 1911

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I came across a Clark Custom 1911 45acp. He wants me to make an offer, but I'm stumped. According to the SN# (300000C range) it's a pre series 70 and according to the owner, the gun was done in the mid to late 60's. I've seen the current pricing for Clark and the lowest price conversion is $755 on your gun. This gun has a full length BoMar Sight rib, the front of the grip has been stipled (sp?) and supposedly comes with 2 5rd mags; I think it's called a Heavy Slide. My guess is that it's a bullseye gun. Overall condition is %95 Whadda you think?

Comments

• Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rballi,

The legandary James E. Clark, Sr. passed away during 2000. In 1958, he became the first and only full-time civilian to win the National Pistol Championships.

Clark custom Guns can vary greatly in price from a MSR of $1450.00 for Bullseye Pistols, $1550.00 for Custom Combats to $3795.00 for a Millennium Meltdown, which features a damascus slide.

You would be getting a real piece of history if you go after this one. If it's a Bulleye, and in 95% condition, I would probably come out of the 'shoots' with an offer of $1000/1150.00. Personally I'd have cash in hand. This should not be insulting and if they say "yes" you've gotten a terrific deal. Would not go over $1250/1300.00.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to say go for it too. Just don't find ones like that around.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did some trading and got the gun. The side of the slide says Clark Custom Guns 'Heavy Slide' Shreveport LA The last three digits of the frame are stamped under the slide. The gun is tight as a drum. Can't wait to shoot it; will post pics soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I described the slide wrong, it says "Clark" Heavy Slide 45 Shreveport La

Is it OK to shoot factory 230gr ball?

Got some pics:

MVC-003F16.JPG

http://groups.msn.com/rballipics/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=352
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The plot thickens. I contacted Clark and asked them if they had always been in Princeton and they said no. I described my gun and it's markings and they confirmed that it was probably done at their shop. They said to try it out and that it was most likely built for semi wad cutters. I called Colt to ask about the gun, and they said that based on the SN I gave them, the gun was made in 1966. But, I don't see any Colt markings on the frame, just the slide. Clark said they could research it but it would take a while. The SN has crisp digits then a "-C" at the end, ie: 300500-C, it does have various proof marks that match other proofs on other Colts I have. The previous owner supposedly has the orig 5rd mags & bill of sale from the 60's for the conversion; I'm guessing the Bill of Sale will have all my answers; hope to get it soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow! 15yds free hand 180gr semi-wadcutters 7 shots inside a 2" round orange sticker target. I'm sure this gun shoots way better than I do. I'll try it at 25yds with a rest. BTW, it shoots ball ammo almost as good.