In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which range finding scope?

MillerMiller Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I would like to get a ranging scope for varmits. I have see a lot out there (mil dot, TDS, and Springfield Armory). Do any of you have any experience with these or others and if so which do you prefer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no doubt you will hear differently from several posters on this board, but I (repeat: ME, THIS ONE GUY, i.e., NOT THE WHOLE WORLD) have had good success w/ my Springfield 1st generation rangefinding scope. It's accurate at distance and, IN MY EXPERIENCE, has proven reliable and quite durable. A friend's girlfriend once knocked my whole rig over while it was mounted in a gun vise and the scope didn't even need a rezero.

In case you wonder why I'm approaching this delicately, some people like to crap on SA products on this board. If you do a topic search, you'll hear stories of SA scopes having their reticles fall out and other such issues, and at least one poster who has come to distrust his equipment because of what he read on this site. My SA scope, however, has worked like a charm for many years and it carries a lifetime warranty. I trust it.

For what it's worth.
  • beerboybeerboy Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would just get a laser rangefinder. These things are deadly acurate and you will be able to use it on all you hunts. It won't be locked on to one gun.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NP-1RR reticle in the Nightforce NXS scope is a very nice ranging reticle, but......be seated when you look at the price.

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifleman.308 [:D]
    Your not completely alone, I have a 4-14X40 Springfield cammed for .223 that has been great, but we wont talk about my 4-14X56/.308 which has been crap ...

Anyway, I really like the rangefinding capabalities of the Springfield's and undersatand they are kinda of a take-off of the Shepard Scopes which are supposed to be top shelf ... I can't speak for the Sheppard though as I've never seen one or known anyone that has had one ... comments?

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Miller, Go to www.horusvision.com and look at their scope! varmit hunter that posts here has one and can tell you more. They are not cheap but evidently they are far ahead of what's been offered to date. GHD