In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hard Chrome, Where and How?

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I want to get my semi-auto with a new finish. I have heard Hard Chrome is the best. Who does this kind of finish? Is it expensive and is it the best for a semi-auto?

Comments

• Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kissgoodnight;
    Hard chrome is a tough durable finish for guns. Having been developed for heavy industrial applicatios. It can be done by a number of industrial plating businesses, but, it can be very expensive. Since I don't know your area, it hard to recommend someone. Talk with gun smiths in your area, they should be able to direct you to a shop. AS for is it best for semi-autos,,, that is tougher to nail down. On tightly fitted pistols, it may be nessesary to first loosen the guns fit,then plate and polish bearing surfaces to bring it back to spec. Any plating will change the surface measurments and tighten the gun up. So check with a Smith, with the refitting and plating, you could easily exceed the guns worth.
  • Options
    hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'v heard these people are pretty good.
    http://www.checkmatecustom.com/
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used checkmate when we had our department Colt 45's hard chromed. They did a nice job. Did a couple of them in bright polish and mine was done in satin finish (mine looked the nicest..)

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"<P><br>
  • Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.robarguns.com Look at the NP3 finish by far the best around.