In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dwm luger with no stamped date

candycandy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
we have a luger with "dwm" on the top right. the s/n is 383 suffix "p" in 2 places, and a small crown-N printed upright on the left side with GERMANY printed below it.there is also a crown-N markunder the long piece above the 383 with suffix p under that. we have no idea what year it is, we can't find ayear date on the gun anywhere.there is an "S" on the front site.and there is "GESICHERT" printed under the safety.it has a blask plastic bottom on the magazine. our neighbor gave it to us b4 he died, and said his grandpa was issued this gun in ww1. and 383 is thoughout the gun along with 83 on many pieces. there is also a "W" on the inside of it when my husband took it apart.here are some pictures too though they didnt turn out well. I appreciate the help.my husband says there is a D and a W under the chamber. and also a D on the right hand below the grip next to the screw. and there is tooling marks all over it. to the right of the germany and crown-N stamp where that big square is they crossed something out and wrote 777 on it my husband has a sneeking suspicion it was a germens gun they got and crossed out the icky ryche marks and put thier own on it. on the other forum they thought it was a commercial 1920 but another guy said no it could be a 1910 to 1913. here are some pics they are kinda bad but i will take some more tomarow. any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks, candy. p.s. im totally confused about how to link a pic on this forum.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost always when firearms are marked with their country of origin, in this case "Germany", they were imported and sold commercially here in the U.S.

In the years after the end of W W I many Lugers similar to the one you describe were imported and sold in the U.S.

Here are instructions for posting pictures.

First thing you need is a site to host your picture. What I mean by that is that you will need to upload your pictures to a web site that will host(display) them for you. You should not use your hard drive to host pictures for safety sake. Use www.photobucket.com to host your pictures.

After you have uploaded your pictures to the site that will host them for you(per their directions), the next thing you will want to do is go to the picture hosting site and view the picture. While you are viewing the picture, right click on it and you'll see another window that should pop up, now click on "properties" and copy the picture URL. If you know how to "copy & paste" this will be a piece of cake.

Now that you have the picture URL and your ready to post your picture. Do the following, use the following code except take out the "*" asterisk. The "*" asterisk is used here only so you can see the code. In other words if I posted the code without the "*" asterisk you will see a picture instead of the code. Anyways use this code to post your picture..
    [*img]the picture URL goes here[*/img]

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img]javascript:image();[/img]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From your pictures it appears the Luger has major condition problems, i.e. extensive pitting and the stock lug ground off. This would have a very negative affect on it's value.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You have an interesting Parabellum. After WWI, they were inported into the US. Some were refurbished, some were new manufacture. Most Commercials were 7.65 Parabellum (.30 Luger) and only a very few were 9mm. The Crown U is a Commercial proofmark but could have been applied AFTER the Imperial proofs were removed. It's possible that if not 9mm, it was rebarreled to 7.65. What is the caliber?

The lug being ground off was not required until after the National Firearms Act was passed in the 1930's but most people didn't do that. They just didn't have a stock. The absence of blue on the lug area makes it appear that the lug was ground off in this country.

While it probably has little collector interest, I would imagine it would be an okay shooter.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the guy we the gun from said he was sure it was a 7.25 how would we be able to tell?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    we measered the barrel its 4 inches long and there is a 4 on the inside of the gun
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You need to talk to Ralph Shattuck, Gun Brokers own Luger Expert.also the author of World Of Lugers...No Charge for His Services.....Just tell Him that You are a member of <gunbroker.com> and explain the Question and or problems....he'll get back to You.....
    <Ralph@WorldOfLugers.com> or <Ralph@lugers.com>

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff