In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is a good reason for....

txrebeltxrebel Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
...getting a silencer/suppressor via class 3 certification? To better explain this, I am meaning that I want to get a suppressor/silencer for my Walther P22. I know the difference of the two "s". I do not know exactly is asked or needs to be filled out when applying for the silencer, but I would assume they would ask why you want this and what it is used for. I honestly want to have one, sadly to say, because I just want to have one, and say , "Yea, my P22 got this kick * silencer...(blah, blah, blah...)." Ya know?

So with that such a confusing statement up there... How do I go about applying for one?

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just put collector in that blank. It's what I always use for nfa. devices
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just contact your class III dealer and he will do the work. Good luck,

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i wanna get one for a h&k mark 23. i gotta find out the rest of it myself. i think you have to have the local law sign off on it too.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello along with FED. laws some states do not allow them. check with your state laws first .
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the board. just a minor rudder correction, please mind your p's and q's here and limit your cursing. you will get a lot more responses if we know you respect us, as we do you. again, welcome to gb!
    silencer devices are regulated by law. special permits and justification is require to get permits. just wanting one isnt a good enough reason for the law to jump to and give you one. permits cost money. once you have it, you are then limited to selling them to just other permit holders. its sorta like a closed loop society. god forbid you ever lose one or sell it illegally, youre toast.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    TXREBEL: Just do EVERYTHING Bobski says since he lives with the Pope. Of course, if you're a Protestant, you're free to do as you please--within the bounds of Federal and State Firearms laws, that is.[;)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some pretty good reasons why so few suppressors are sold.

For starters, total expenses will be $1,000 + up, which includes $200 for the tax stamp. You have to buy a longer barrel, or pay a gunsmith to weld a threaded adaptor to the end of your barrel. On most installations, you won't be able to aim the gun because the suppressor will obscure your sights. And, most semi-autos won't function properly without "tuning", which probably means a new or altered recoil spring.

If you still want to get one, be sure that your Class III dealer is also a "Class III repair facility". That way, you can get a guaranty that he will make it function properly BEFORE you agree to give him your money.

Neal
  • Options
    txrebeltxrebel Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen several places in Shotgun News for selling silencers/suppressors to civilians across the United States. I have checked their website, and it states that Texas is allowed to have the silencer with approved by the county or city police department.

There was another ad in Shotgun News for a Walther P22 with silencer included -tax stamp fee, for right at $500. So a total of $700 bucks for this .22 lr pistol. Well worth it.

There is also a laser sight that is readily available for like 119 bucks to "aim" for the gun. It comes pre sighted with the barrel configured.

I also knew a guy that had a HK MP5SD6 that I fell in love with, totally silenced, fully automatic!!! It was a beautiful gun. He sold it for $3,500. If I knew that I would of sold my truck to get that gun...Oh my... And the thing is, he did it w/o papers... old war guns count?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well worth it? I don't know. You didn't give us the name of the manufacturer, & how many db of attenuation it provides; I assume that is because you don't know.

Have you seen one of these? Have you fired one? What will you do if you fire a couple of hundred rounds, & then find that it has become as loud as if there were no suppressor? Will the seller give you a new one, or a refund?

Good quality suppressors start in the $400-500 range. You get what you pay for, sometimes less.

And, how much is your local Class III dealer going to charge you for the tranfer? Have you even found a local Class III dealer? You can't have the gun mailed to you.

Your buddy with the MP5 may not be in the clear yet. If the buyer ever gets into a bind with the police, he's going to roll over on your buddy, & he could be looking at 10 years in a Federal prison. I think you were lucky that he didn't offer it to you.

Neal
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well TX here is my take on the whole thing. The very first thing you need to do is find a Class 3 dealer in your area, he will be able to help you through the whole process, and you will need him to do the transfer anyway. You just put collector in the box like Shooter said and you will have no problems. Also there is no "permit/license/card/ect" for NFA items for you to "freely" trade/sell unless you are a dealer which still requires federal paperwork to transfer. Each time you buy or sell an NFA item the new buyer has to go through the whole process of the transfer, IE form 4, fingerprints, photos, LEO sign off, transfer tax ($200 or $5 for AOW), ect.

For a .22 you can get a suppressor for about $200 but I would go with a Gemtech Outback 2 and they are right at $300. To mount it on a P22 you need a new BBL nut adapter, it replaces the standard BBL nut and has the proper threads to mount the suppressor too. If you have a .22 rifle that you want to mount it on a gunsmith will thread your BBL for about $50-$75. The suppressor dose partialy cover you sights on the P22 but it is still easy to aim, fire and hit. The combination of P22 and Outback 2 is a match made in heaven, it is quite, light, accurate, reliable, and fun [:D]. Here is a link to another topic on the same subject http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=157448. I am in the middle of the whole process now for the Outback 2 for my P22 and I am going to have my Ruger 77/22 threaded too. Gemtech also makes a really neat .223 surppressor that will fit on any standard Nato Flashider (standard M16/AR-15) with no tool or changes. It is called the Halo, is a good price at $675, and is going to be my next NFA purchase. I hope all of this helps.

John
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    "So the report of the firearm doesn't harm the auditory reflexes of the other passengers in the vehicle."
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    Why?
    I use the same response for each additional Full-Auto and/or
    Suppressor.
    Addition To Collection!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Browning Collectors Association Life Member