In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best 9mm?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
i am thinking of getting down too just 1 semi pistol.i have decided i want it too be a 9mm.lets keep the price at $600 or under.what in your opinion is the best ,most accurate pistol too buy?thanks don

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably Sig p226.
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with beantownshootah except that I would pick the Sig P228. A couple less rounds but a little smaller and just as accurate. Sig put 5000 rounds through one of their guns and it was more accurate at the end of the test than at the beginning. Also no measurable wear.

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that price range, I would look at a CZ75 variant. They were originally designed for the round and can be had in a dizzying array or options. The Witness pistols are virtually the same gun, but would cost you a little less.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have most of them, Walthers, Sig's, HK's, but for some reason, I always grab my HiPower....
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOOH! Good point RSnyder55! Gotta' like those HiPowers too!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm certainly no expert but I did the same thing as you a couple of years ago. I just had to keep my Hi Power practical in 9mm [^]. I'm the blacksheep in my family as all the rest love their Glocks.
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you start to get down to "what do you mean by best". . .which means what do you want to do with the gun?

Hi Power Practical is a great gun. . .but I think it busts the $600 budget. Other possible negatives are that its not double action, and I think it doesn't like +P rounds. It depends a bit on what you want to do with the gun. I think the SIG or other modern military guns are probably better choices for an "all purpose" gun.

SIG 226 vs 228. . .no difference as far as I am concerned. Ones a little bigger, ones a little smaller. I prefer the bigger one, personally, a little more heft, a little less snap. Its less concealable, but not that much less, and I don't think of these as CCWs anyway.

CZ is another really good choice if accuracy is the standard. You can go with the decocker version, or the "cocked and locked" version.

EAA/Tanfoglio witness isn't quite as well built as the CZ, and the trigger isn't quite as good. Yes, that's probably fixable, but since the budget specified was $600, might as well get the CZ. On the other hand, for $600, you could get the Witness in 9mm **AND** get a .45 ACP conversion unit for it. . .so you might be onto something that way!

If money were no object, I'd pick the Sig P210. . .unfortunately for the cost of one of those, you could get a SIG p226, a Hi Power, a Witness, *AND* a CZ!

The main, thing, I think, is to try various ones and find the one that fits your hand and that *YOU* like the best.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree on the browning, might be a lil over the $600 budget but you wont regret it and as far as DA, that is a preferrence but the SFS system will make up for the need.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite 9mm pistol is my Beretta 92F. Accurate, reliable, and they can be found for a very reasonable price.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I personally like the Beretta 92 FS as well, some disagree, but there was a very good reason the M9 became the standard USGI sidearm. Besides, I'm an old Beretta fan. I would also toss a vote for the Sigs. They are great guns. The Hi-Power is also a great choice. Of those listed, just pick the one you like the best.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.