In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45ACP action pistol loads

dkosto99dkosto99 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am a beginner reloader and shot my first action pistol match (IPSC) and want to reload for the matches.
I see different bullets and diameters (.451 and .452) and wonder why wouldn't someone load light bullets (185gr) and light powder loads?
Any ideas appreciated.
I have single stage press and will buy Lee carbide dies with factory crimp die because everything I've read says the factory crimp die is the shizz for 45acp reloading. (no Lee bashing, I've read it already)
Pls help with bullet and powders for my application.
Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The basic reason why no one should use target loads is because the match simulates real life combat situations and no one uses target loads for self defense. Some matches require that you knock down a plate/ popper with randomly select loads from for your mags. This assures you have a certain minimum load. I don't think 185 gr lead semi-wadcutters will make minimun. Of course your match may have no such requirment. Find out your minimum and load with the lightest bullet that will make the minimum. Also don't crimp the 45 with a heavy crimp. The 45 headspaces on the case. I use a taper crimp die. BTY, there are 100's of good load combinations. If you need a good one let me know (target or IPSC min) and I will look it up.

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some pistols like the fatter lead bullets, it depends on the bore size. Some older bores and different calibers had a bore better suited to .451 bullets. There are also 45 ACP cases with thicker walls and a bulge may result from .452 bullets. If you are going to shoot a cast bullet go with .452. I have used 6.0gr of Unique in thousands of .45 loads. It has always made me happy in outdoor shooting situations. It seems to feed in dirty guns and keep accuracy after the barrel gets full of gunk. A lyman 230gr roundnose cast bullet gives you a ball equalivent with the unique load. A 200 gr Lyman SWC with 5.0 gr of 231 is also a good load and it burns cleaner.

ALL THE ABOVE IS IMO and has proved safe in my guns. Read and undrstand your reloading manual before using any recommended loadings.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My 45 IPSC is 200 gr lead swc with 5.8 gr 231. This load will meet the power requirements.
  • Options
    dkosto99dkosto99 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for info.
    Do you use lead for cost or other factors?
    Should I assume my modern 1911 will shoot either just as well?
    I have a 4" 1911...do you adjust the loads for barrel length?
    Does plated or jacketed bullets shoot cleaner?
    Thanks for info.
    SWC or ball?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Lead is cheaper "YOU can pratice more ". Heavy loads foul the bore quicker . See if you can match the recoil spring to the load .Carbide dies need no lube if you try this with standard dies you will stick a case in the die. Taper crimp only. plated bullets are a waste go with jacketed bullets if you must . Bulls-eye or other fast powder is best in short barrels. Good luck practice practice practice
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a non-compensated pistol, the name of the game for IPSC loads is heavy bullet w/less powder. The reason being, the powder you have, the more recoil you have. Also, powder is more expensive than lead. At some point though, the gun will start to cycle noticeably slower to such a degree that you might find it annoying and/or it might slow you down. Most folks go with a 200gr. lead semi-wadcutter. Winchester 231 is a good powder to go with.

With a compensated gun, the theory is just the opposite. You'll want a light bullet with lots of powder. You'll want all the powder to increase your gas volume to use in the compensator, to make it work better.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 185 swc's with 4.6 grains of clays, makes 170 power factor, knocks down any plate I hit , and recoil is fairly light , it is not the powder that makes recoil, it is bullet weight

Match grade barrels like .451 diameter even in lead

In ipsc you can go major or minor, if you find a load you like choose which you are going to shoot

As perry stated match the recoil spring to your load
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I'd go with 1911a1fan advice.

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"