In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cowbow action revolver

dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have been thinking on buying one of this for a while and I think I'm finally ready.
Any recommendations on the brand and caliber?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Vaquaro 45 colt.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd buy a ruger probably 44-40
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger is a nice choice for sure, but I would look around as much as I could to determine what you want to spend and what features are a drop dead neccessity for you. Berretta is making the Stampede, EMF, Piotti,etc... Lots of choices, but you owe it to yourself to look at and HANDLE as many different SAA clones as you can. Also, I would look to the possibility of getting a companion carbine (I think Davidsons just got a load of model 92's from Winnie Japan that actually chamber 45 Colt) to go with that SAA. Very hard to go wrong with 45 Long Colt!
    "When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several options if you want a Colt Peacemaker style gun. Of course, a real Colt Single Action Army is an option but new they're expensive and they are of the style of post WWII.

For authenticity to the 1873-1892 period:
    USFA Pre-War in "black powder" style frame (shoots model smokeless powder cartridges), authentically replicates the 1873 to 1892 Peacemakers but are expensive at over $1,300.00.

Cimarron (Uberti of Italy made) Model P in "old model" frame also very authentically replicates the 1873-92 Peacemakers and can be had for under $500.00 new!

Stoeger also imports the Ubertis and they're cheaper even than the Cimarrons but aren't quite as authentic looking because their caliber markings and barrel address markings aren't quite as authentic looking as on the Cimarrons.

If you're not concerned with total authenticity to the 1873-92 period:
    Ruger "New" Vaquero. Looks enough like a Colt Peacemaker yet features modern safety features like a transfer bar safety and a loading gate activated cylinder release so you can load and unload without half cocking the hammer. Reasonably priced at around $538.00 for the base model but they don't look quite like real 1873-92 Peacemakers.

Beretta also has their Stampede model which is about the same price and features a transfer bar safety but also looks more like a more modern Colt rather than an authentic first generation Colt.

Taurus also offers the Gaucho which is a bargain starting at around $500.00 and like the Beretta has a transfer bar safety. Here again though, it follows the 3rd generation Colt patern rather than the first generation style.

As for calibers. Most authentic would be .45 Colt or .44-40 (.44 WCF). But a lot of Cowboy action shooters are getting guns chambered in .357Mag. because you can shoot .38Spl. which is cheaper and more readily available, if not authentic to the 1870s and 80s.

You didn't say it had to be a Peacemaker style gun, so there's also the option of the Navy Arms or Stoeger imported Uberti Smith & Wesson No. 3 Schofield or No.3 Russian top break revolvers. They are beautiful and a little more unique than the typical Peacemaker. but they are rather expensive in the $750.00 and up range. Stoeger also imports the Uberti made 1875 Remington Single Action Army which is also pretty unique looking and reasonably priced in the $425.00 range. It's a great revolver but it doesn't completely accurately replicate the real thing because the frames are color case like a Colt whereas the real Remingtons were either blue or nickel and it has a post 1892 Colt style cylinder pin release, which real Remingtons did not.

Hope this helps. By the way, mine are all Uberti made and all in .45 Colt.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much are you wanting to spend, that question alone will get you the advice you need. You can expect to spend between $200.00 and $2000.00 or better. We await your decission.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    DRJR1badspringerDRJR1badspringer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally shoot the Uberti colt clone in 32-20 and a Uberti Winchester '73 clone. All three are race tuned and shoot great. I have a friend that does the race tuning and has tuned some of the guns for some of the top SASS shooters. Let me know if interested in his work and I will simply put you in touch with him. His prices are good and he does excellent work. His speciality in race tuning rifles are Winchester '66 and '73s but he does others. He does the pistols too and the work is great and you don't have to worry about faulty work.

DRJR1badspringer
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Check out <emf> in Santa Ana, California...They have a Web Site and have quite a selection ,of Single Action Frontiers....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I bought a Ruger Bisley 44 mag (not really authentic cowboy action) but now I wish I would have bought a 45 LC or a 44-40

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EMF is an option but I've not been very impressed with the quality of the Great Western II Single Action Army. Their Hartford models seem to be a little better but I think the Hartfords are made by Uberti just like the Cimarrons. Also, EMF's availability has been pretty lame lately.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do, don't buy anything manufactured by Armi San Marco. They're quality is very bad. I think they're out of business now, that's how bad their quality was.
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    Have you seen this one ? I bought one when they first came out for $200.00. It's been a great shooter.

Uberti Millenium Centerfire Revolver
    From the 19th century to the 21st, there's always been a need for a no-frills revolver like this single-action .45 LC. A true workhorse, it skips the bells and whistles of fancy polished revolvers but has all the features - the internal workings, accuracy and reliability - that really count. With a truly balanced feel that comes to aim quickly and accurately, this pistol belongs in the holster of every cowboy, and outdoorsman. Fine hardwood grip, matte black finish and unfinished brass accents.
    Barrel length: 4-3/4".
    Overall length: 10".
    ubertimillenium.jpg
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Uberti Millenium is a very nice if not a very accurate representation of an 1873-1892 Colt. The all matt blue finish and brass grip frame never existed on real Peacemakers but for the price its a pretty nice gun.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    http://www.uberti.com/

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the good info.
    At the gunshow this past weekend I held several models but honestly the ruger vaquero felt the best in my hand.

The uberti though seem like a great bargain.
    I was thinking to get the 45lc but as a plinker I though a smaller caliber will be better.
    The colt is beatiful but I think is outside my budget
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well you sure can't go much wrong with a Vaquero or New Vaquero in .357Mag., which would allow you to plink away all day with $8.00 a box .38Spl. The Rugers are great guns. Let us know what you eventually end up getting and how you like it. I'm always curious as to what other people enjoy shooting, especially cowboy action.