In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

springfield 1847 .69 cal musket- what's it worth?

ammomakerammomaker Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I own a springfield model 1847 .69 caliber percussion musket. It has been handed down through the generations in my family and I can trace it back to who carried it in the civil war. The musket is in very good shape and has been used occasionally up until about 30 years ago. The only thing missing is the front sling swivel and it has some initials carved in the stock of a few previous owners, one of which matches it's civil war owner.

Does anyone have any idea of what it is worth?? (not for sale)

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without quality photos and specific dimensions it's difficult to assess what your familys heirloom is.

If it's dated 1847 it could be a Model 1842 U.S. Percussion Musket? If this is what it is, it's a extremely historical firearm.

Flayderman values them between $850 & $2,750 depending on condition. This is only if it's factory original, and if it is a Model 1842.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow is correct

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"
  • Options
    ammomakerammomaker Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a model 1842 with an 1847 receiver stamp. It is all original minus the missing front sling mount. Any idea where one can find an original front sling mount (part of the middle forearm band)?