In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40x accuracy

zeldabluumzeldabluum Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys

Any of you guys know the accuracy of a STOCK 40x CENTERFIRE?
I am thinking of buying a new one in 223 or 22-250.

thanks

zeldabluum @yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello as with any match grade fire arm you need to match the load to the rifle . one load might be 3MOA and another .2 MOA in the same gun no 2 guns are the same Will a 40 x win a bench rest match "slight chance" will it out shoot a standard grade REM. 700 good chance. SORRY but ammo is the KEY along with the shooter.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no way that we can read the tea leaves of the future and tell you what the accuracy will be for a rifle that we haven't shot. There are way too many variable that figure into the concept of accuracy. I know what you're looking for but there's no way that we can give you an assessment without shooting and testing.

Generally speaking, the 40X rifles have a fair degree of accuracy right from the factory. But a poor shooter, poor ammunition or low quality glass can make that statement incorrect from the start.

Bear in mind also that a 40X is nothing more than a Rem. 700 standard action with or without the magazine cut out. Remington offers an option of a 2 oz. trigger for additional money and 1 model has a button rifled barrel while the others are still hammer forged. Not much of a difference considering that the MSRP for these 40X ranges from about $1850.00 to a bit over $2100.00 right from the factory. There are better guns for slighty less to a bit more new and used.

Here is a quote from the Remington site:

"The Model 40-XBT series of high performance Custom Shop rifles sets the standard for accuracy and like all 40-XB rifles, the new Model 40-XB Tactical is no exception. Chambered in .308 Win, Remington guarantees the Model 40-XB Tactical will deliver 0.75 inch maximum 5-shot groups at 100 yards.+"

+ NOTE: Accuracy performance based on shooter, ammunition and optics. Maximum average of two 5-shot groups.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys

I guess the answer to my question will remain unanswered. i guess

no of you out there has actually shot a 40x. i am aware that the
    ammo and shooter play a part in accuracy. but if the gun is a piece
    of junk, no ammo or shooter on the planet can make one shoot well.
    We all know that you cant put Dale Jr in a YUGO and racing gas in the
    tank and expext to win NASCAR races.

So I will rephrase the question. Has anyone on this forum actually
    shot a 40x? yes or no

zeldabluum
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot a number of them but it was long ago. The 40x's generally shoot quite well and they come with the test target....that group can be duplicated. We got one in the shop I help out at once with a test target only a few thousandths over the record at the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not only have I shot a couple of dozen 40X's in various chamberings but I currently own 2, neither of which are factory original at this point. If you want an experienced opinion then here it is.

I believe for the price that Remington demands for this rifle, that there are better rifles to buy. Remington is selling you something that is only a pinch better than a standard Remington 700 rifle and charging like it's a custom. Well it ain't. The accuracy is O.K., as they state 3/4" with appropriate ammunition and someone that can drive it right. It's even possible, and I have seen some that will shoot better than this.

I demand a lot more from a rifle that can cost $1850.00 to $2100.00 because I expect a custom barrel by a well know maker, a trued or custom action and a great adjustable trigger. With the 40X you get a hammer forged barrel just like all the other 700's and a receiver that still needs to be trued. The only part that seems to be right is the OPTIONAL 2 oz. trigger at an additional cost. It's good from the factory and can be adjusted to be better.

I wouldn't waste my money on anything other than truly custom rifles but others seem to find the 40X to be exactly what they want. That's why we were giving generic answers.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yep, for the money I'd build a 700 from scratch rather than dropping $2K on a 40X. The 40X is a precise rifle but not $2000 precise. No one is saying its a bad rifle, just not much bang for the buck so to speak

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a .382 group out of one of my 40X's in 308 its new and being broken in. My .22-250 will do one hole @ 100. BUT it has some tweeking done to it. This is a virgin .308 in this pic. Also these are hand loads that I made for this rifle.
    Out of the box, a 40X will beat most of the guns off the rack. But as the guys have said, Its the shooter him/her self.
    308.jpg

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zeldabluum
    Guys

I guess the answer to my question will remain unanswered. i guess

no of you out there has actually shot a 40x. i am aware that the
    ammo and shooter play a part in accuracy. but if the gun is a piece
    of junk, no ammo or shooter on the planet can make one shoot well.
    We all know that you cant put Dale Jr in a YUGO and racing gas in the
    tank and expext to win NASCAR races.

So I will rephrase the question. Has anyone on this forum actually
    shot a 40x? yes or no

zeldabluum

YES...I have shot a Remington 40X in .308 caliber in NRA match rifle, iron sights Bullseye matches. I also shot that rifle in a 600 yard prone, any sight slow fire match in Wisconson but lost my records for that match. That rifle was able to outshoot most shooters. Load development is key to getting them to split hairs. The remainder is the head game of shooting bullseye and that one is between you and God above.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi guys

Guess I owe an apology. I dont own a custom gun at this time. I do

own a Cooper in 222rem. It shoots ok. The custom shop's story on

40x's is as follows. 40x receivers are picked from 700 production

runs. Then they are mated to button rifled barrels. they are not

roll marked like 700's. they are acid etched. This is to keep the

metal from being stressed. Then are assembled by one smith each

from start to finish.

As to ammo accuracy. i have read that all shoot well if given fsctory

match is used.

zeldabluum@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi guys

Guess I owe an apology. I dont own a custom gun at this time. I do

own a Cooper in 222rem. It shoots ok. The custom shop's story on

40x's is as follows. 40x receivers are picked from 700 production

runs. Then they are mated to button rifled barrels. they are not

roll marked like 700's. they are acid etched. This is to keep the

metal from being stressed. Then are assembled by one smith each

from start to finish.

As to ammo accuracy. i have read that all shoot well if given fsctory

match is used.

zeldabluum@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This topic gets beaten to death every few months to a year, not unusual. You can get additional information by doing a search here as well as over at Benchrest Central and Sniper's Hider from their archives, I just checked. There are good articles available on the 'net as well. I think that you'll find a fairly even split in the like/dislike catagory, mostly due to value not quality.

There are a couple of glossy generalities that Remington passed on to you and the most important being the barrel description. Remington uses the button barrels on one model only according to their official release and that's the Tactical model. Even the M24 SWS (Sniper Weapon System for the military) comes with the hammer forged barrels. And that part about "acid etched" being used to curtail stress, how much more stress do you want in a system than with a hammer forged barrel? Copywriters, sheesh... And second, they use the term 'smith(s) very loosely. What they have is a gunsmith supervisor and "trained in place" technicians, trying to be polite.

This sounds like I'm anti- Remington but I'm not, at all. I like and use Remingtons frequently for a multitude of projects but I don't try to make them into something that they aren't, the copywriters take care of that. They are fine middle-of-the-road rifles or receivers. The point that both KingJoey and I made was that the VALUE just wasn't there by comparison to what is available in the market today. Back when the 40X was newer, Remington rightly received the accolades that they deserved. But, today's a new day and they have been left behind by technology and quality control.

Best of luck with your project! Let us know what you end up doing.