In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Two-tone blue 29 Smith?

jamnjamn Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a 29-3 Smith 6 inch and noticed the blue on the barrel and the cylinder more of a plum color and the frame is more of a true blue. In regular indoor lighting you can't really tell but if you take a flashlight to it you can see. I heard different things like 'Smith used to do that at the factory' or 'someone refinished it'. Does anyone really know about this?

Thanks,

Jamn

Comments

• RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm no expert on this subject, but the "plum" color sounds like a re-blue job. I had an old shotgun re-blued about 30 years ago and it came back with the receiver a "plum" color and the barrel a more traditional blue. Don't know if it has to do with the difference in hardness of the metals or the bluing process itself. Anyway, just my experience...
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's just the different metals causing this.I have a Ruger .357 that I bought new and the loading gate is plum color because the metal is a little different.[:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone might have replaced the cylinder? My 29-3 is Blue
  • wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen this on some of the 27-2's over the years. It's just something they screwed up at the factory. I've seen several N series 27's that had perfect blueing jobs and several with the 2 tone blue. I also found an earlier S series gun that I thought would have a better finish but upon inpection it had the 2 tone blue also. These were made when S&W''s quality control had gone to pot. Find an earlier gun and you'll be more likely to find a better example....
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heat sometimes effects the color of the blueing as well. Since you mentioned the barrel and cylinder are "plum" and the frame is blue, it may be that the heat of firing has discolored the blueing on the cylinder and barrel.
  • Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can you post a picture?