In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spencer/Winchester Rifle - MORE INFO

deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
Guys - A friend picked this up a couple of weeks ago at a yard sale. It has a Winchester 28 1/4" Oct Barrel that is stamped .38 WCF on the bottom under the forearm. The receiver is a Spencer marked 1863. There is a round hole in the butt. The ears on the butt look like they were "blacksmithed". The external hammer doesn't appear to do anything other than assist in cocking. There was a tang sight that has been removed. S/N is 56509 and from a web page appears to have been issued to the 6th IL Vol Cav Co E in July of 1865. Is this a rebarrel or something that was made for target shooting after Winchester acquired Spencer ? Thanks -Don

spencer1.jpg

spencer2.jpg

spencer3.jpg

spencer4.jpg

spencer5.jpg

spencer6.jpg

spencer7.jpg

spencer8.jpg

spencer9.jpg

spencer10.jpg

blonds.bmpWhen they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Parsons.gif

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 38 WCF Cartridge, ( 38-40 ) was first sold commercially in 1874. This was years after Winchester had purchased and terminated Spencer.

My 2? is that somebody reworked a Civil War Spencer into a off-hand target rifle. Those "ears" were very commonly found on off-hand target rifles used during the late 19th Century.

The Civil War Spencer was a RIMFIRE 50 caliber repeater with a (7) shot magazine in the butt. Both the hammer and trigger guard had to manually operated for each shot.

Your friend has a very interesting rifle. Many years ago, somebody put a lot of time and effort into converting it into a target rifle. I would like to know what cartridge it's been chambered for, and how the repeating rimfire breech block has been altered?

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Don...

My guess is that the barrel was originally on a Model 1885 Single Shot rifle, but it could also be a Model 1873, or an early Model 1892. If you can tell me exactly how the Winchester address is stamped on the barrel, I can tell you which one it is.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will get with the owner tonite & see if we can get more info. Stay tuned [:)] -Don

Parsons.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert H. The barrel is marked as follows:

Top Flat
    Manufactured by the
    WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN CONN. U.S.A

Bottom Flat

38 WCF

The receiver is marked as follows:

Spencer ????????????
    Rifle Co. Boston Mass
    Pat_d March 6, 1860

We will try to get some pic of the inside showing the conversion soon. - Don

Parsons.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Don,

Is there a long dash that precedes and follows each line of text? The barrel marking is very strongly pointing to it being a Model 1885 barrel.

Bert H.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Bert H. - According to the owner there is a dash that precedes and follows the Winchester name. -Don

Parsons.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deputydon
    Bert H. - According to the owner there is a dash that precedes and follows the Winchester name. -Don

Parsons.gif

OK... that confirms that it is a Model 1885 barrel.

Bert H.