In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

need help on m1 carbine

Tj_cowboy17Tj_cowboy17 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Just for grins, i was tryin to find out when my m1 carbine was manufactured. it has INLAND GENERAL MOTORS stamped on the barrel and the serial # is as follows: 5465771 any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All USGI M1 carbines were manufactured during WWII, so there's not a very large manufacturing range. Also, they weren't always assembled in sequence, & the charts some folks publish aren't necessarily accurate.

But, based on the high serial number, it's safe to say that yours was made late in the war. (WWII ended in April, 1945.)

Neal
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello late WWII look on the barrel behind the front sight. date may be there as well as any import marks very few carbines that have not been rebuilt so date of one part may be vastly different from another.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    All USGI M1 carbines were manufactured during WWII, so there's not a very large manufacturing range. Also, they weren't always assembled in sequence, & the charts some folks publish aren't necessarily accurate.

But, based on the high serial number, it's safe to say that yours was made late in the war. (WWII ended in April, 1945.)

Neal
    I get to nitpick. Hmm, how about WWII ending in September, 1945, after we dropped the A-bomb on Japan.

Germany surrendered May 8, 1945.