In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1892 Take down

guns.comguns.com Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a 1892 takedown in 44 WCF. I has a Tange Site and TWO barrels One with a rear site and the other has no rear site. How rare is this? the gun was made in 1910 by the SR #5455XX The gun is good shape not beat up but not perfect either. Let me know Thanks Jon

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently came across a Winchester Model 1892 in 44-40. I believe it is the take down version as there was a latch on the end of the mag tube dated 1893. Ont the receiver there are a few words that appear to be factory engraved. Any information on this gun and the price range as to what it might be worth would be great. I understand without seeing it or pictures it makes it difficult.
    Thanks. Please e-mail clinthecker@hotmail.com
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is an original Winchester, We need some more information. We also need some good quality pictures. Our resident expert, Bert H, as he is called, I am sure will be along shortly.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without detailed pictures of the gun, it is next to impossible to say what it might be worth. Yes, it is a Takedown, and potentially quite collectable (valuable). That said, the engraved words on the receiver (frame) most likely are not factory original, but without actually seeing it, that is just an educated guess. If the serial number is <380,000, your best bet is to have it researched by the Cody Firearms Museum, as they have the original factory records for all of the early production Model 1892s.

As a side note, I answer to "Bert". I only use the "H" because several years ago (on a different forum) there was another fellow with the same name, and the only way to tell who was who, was to add the "H" after my first name.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need Pics !

Want Pics !

Send Pics !

We like Pictures of OLD WINCHESTERS !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be putting some pics up. What is the best way to do it. Should I e-mail them to someone or try and get them up on this site? Thanks.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *
    I will be putting some pics up. What is the best way to do it. Should I e-mail them to someone or try and get them up on this site? Thanks.
    U can use www.photobucket.com and try your luck. Or you could send'em to me, and i'll put'em up for'ye...
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was able to get some pictures of the rifle up now. This is the link I was given when I downloaded them. Let me know if this works. http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/b/2010468447735813494 The engraving on the side is Lyon & Lyon Calcutta. The caliber is 44 w.c.f. It has seen some wear and I am pretty sure the rear site is not the original. The mag lever is functional and it levers and the hammer falls when the trigger is pulled. There is the Winchester print on the barrel and on the receiver, but is hard to see based on the photos. There is also stamps on pat. on the mag lever. Thanks.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen that marking on a few Model 1885 Single-Shot rifles, but they were stamped on the top of the barrel. It tells us that it was exported to India, and that it is very possible that it was a factory applied marking. Again, if the serial number is somewhere in 1 - 379,999 range, you should have it lettered by the Cody Firearms Museum.

The overall graded condition is 0 - 10% for the finish. Still, if it has a decent bore, it is quite collectable.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice old Winnie
    Thanks for the pics !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is between those serial numbers. Can you tell me more about this Cody Museum thing. Thanks.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes,

The Cody Museum is the historical log book for most winchester firearms dated before 1964. There was some original data lost due to a fire if I am not mistaken. When they "letter your gun", what they do is a serial number search. Find your exact serial number, and they can tell you when it was made, and what configuration it was in when it left the factory, what it had for extra's like set triggers, the take down feature, special barrel lengths, Deluxe models with pistol grip stocks, and/or checkering. It would also tell you, where, when, and who it was shipped to, and perhaps how many were in the shipment. this document is a piece of paper you will have to pay for, but will only add to the collector value of your rifle. All avid collectors would like to have a piece of paper.

In a short word it is the document that is recognized as the authentication of originality of your rifle. From this, you will be able to tell, what if anything is not original on your rifle. I am sure if you e-mail Bert, he will give you more specifics, if he has not already.