In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rem. 11-87 gas seal "o" ring size

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
hello;

there is a rubber "o" ring on the remington 11-87 magazine tube that acts like a gas seal. anyone know what size this rubber "o" ring is. thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "what size this rubber "o" ring is. thanks for any input."... you need a ring spicificly mgf. for this. brownell's sells them ( part # 767-158-990 $5.43)(no you cann't go to napa and buy one). I had one come into my shop once that about drove me nuts, it wouldn't fire but every thing looked fine. untill I checked the 'o' ring, someone had put a std. one on and it just wouldn't work.
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i recently ran into the same problem with my 1100 magnum! someone had put an auto parts store o-ring on it. when the barrel was attached to the weapon the trigger wouldnt fire, and when the barrel was detached from it the trigger would fire! IMHO always buy brownells o-rings for your autoloader remington shotguns. do this and you will never have a cycling problem with your remington. keep the gas system clean as well. best
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chamber gases that cycle the action in an 1100 are extremely hot..The "O" ring used to seal against these gases must be compounded to withstand the heat and the pressure... A NAPA "O" ring is a malfunction waiting to happen...
    JIM..........
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The size can be matched up using a set of vernier calipers. Measure up the thickness of the o ring, and then the diameter of your magazine tube. Actually if you buy a factory o ring, use it to determine the size. The material/compound that your o ring is made of will determine the longevity of it. An SBR natural rubber compound will last about 100 shots if you are lucky. these are the auto parts variety. Nitrile will last about three times more than that. It is the cleaning solvents and lubricants, that will break them down. The real good o rings, and Remington even sells one as a copmetition accessory, is the VITON o ring. I am fortunate enough to work a company that makes all kinds of industrial seals...including different compounds of o rings. The Viton will go for 1000 rounds or more.
  • Options
    m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weird as it sounds, the correct gas seal ring will stand up to everything, EXCEPT Hoppes #9 solvent. Good old #9 solvent will soften it to the point it will easily be damaged when removing and installing the barrel for cleaning.