S&W serial number

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,211 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
Can someone help me with a serial number for a Smith. It starts with S185XXX and is a 6.5 inch Nickle 44. Any idea when it was made? Thanks a lot. Gary
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone have an idea what years the S&W model 10-5 38 special caliber revolver w/2" barrel was mfg?

Does S&W charge to ask?

thanks.
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Anyone have an idea what years the S&W model 10-5 38 special caliber revolver w/2" barrel was mfg?

Does S&W charge to ask?

thanks.

The 10-5 started in 1962. As well as the 10-4 and 10-6 elimination of the trigger guard screw on the tapered and heavy barrel models.
    A factory letter is obtainable from their historian for a fee of $30. If you would post the serial# and possibly a pic or two here several people could help you out.
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whenever I add another Smith or any other I always call with the serial number to get the pro date and any other info available. Was always a pleasure to speak with S&W and was never told no. Colt said no once so I replied with "you gotta be kidding" and they the answered my 2 questions. The folks at Ruger records are fantastic!
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the response. A start production date of 1962 is probably all the owner may need anyway.....as was wondering "about" how old one may be.

Thanks~~[:D]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,428 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Engineering Change (10-5) was initiated in 1962 to change the sight width from 1/10 inch to 1/8 inch on tapered barrel models and the next change to tapered barrel models was initiated in 1977 to change the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder. From that you might be able to conclude that the Model 10-5 you are asking about was manufactured between 1962 and 1977.

If you can provide the serial number we should be able to get you the DOM.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!