In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger MK II Ultra Light .270

holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Bought one and have not used it yet. Though decent looking, finish quality was less than expected. Anyone have any opinions or experience with these rifles? Should I keep it?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello holybuck,

Welcome to out forums here on Gun Broker.

The quality of the Ruger brand has previously been known to provide the best for the dollar spent. That is untill Bill Ruger passed away. It seems since then the quality has taken a severe down swing, along with their customer service. It must be the bean counters took over his posistion.

As for your Ultra Light MKII, I have a couple friends that have them, in the synthetic stocked version, both in 30-06. They are no where near as accurate as the standard model, and kick like a mule. You can also see casting marks on some places inside the reciever. Almost like it was cast to size to eliminate more machining. I am not saying your rifle will not work for what you intend it to, but do not expect it to shoot as well as a CZ, Remington 700, or Tikka T3.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I must have got a good one. I have a .308 with wood stock. I can get it to shoot under 1" groups with handloads or 180 grain Remington ammo. Obviously, more then 3 or 4 shots and you might get a flyer, just a nature of the beast when the barrel is that thin. Recoil is definitely noticeable, but again, you get an "ultralight" because it's light, it's gonna kick.[;)] I love mine and have had no problems with any Ruger firearm I have owned. Well, besides my GP100 that I can't hit the broadside of a barn with, but that is most likely operator related.[:D]

Jon
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sold my Ultra Light .243. Big mistake. 5 shot groups at 100 yards; sandbags, solid bench, etc. (obviously) consistently in the 1/2 to 3/4 " range with everthing from 60 to 105 grains. Sold it when I picked up an early Sako in the same caliber. Metal fit and finish is definately superior on the Sako, but the Ruger actually out shot it.
    Also have a new Hawkeye, wood stocked .257 that is, IMHO, one of the finest bolt actions Ruger has come out with yet.
    I'd keep it at least until you find out how it will perform for you.
  • Options
    holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Any suggestions on a recoil pad to replace the original one from Ruger? The original does'nt look like much help especially on a ultra light rifle.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by holybuck
    Thanks guys. Any suggestions on a recoil pad to replace the original one from Ruger? The original does'nt look like much help especially on a ultra light rifle.

YES...SIMMS...SIMMS...SIMMS
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the many things I like about the new Hawkeye is that it comes with a real recoil pad. Don't know how it would compare to the Simms, but if keeping your rifle "all Ruger" has any appeal, you might check into the new Ruger pads.