In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

m1 garands $$$$ need some help

unigoalcorpunigoalcorp Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
i have 6 m1 garands
5 of these have all original parts w/matching #s
1 is a sniper rifle w/wood foot locker,scope,suppressor,cheekpad
they are:winchester,springfield,intl harvester,h&r,mfg dates are 1943-45
i was wondering if someone could give me an estimate or some help please

Comments

• Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW you have some valuable garands. Are the barrels matching also? Are the OP rods uncut?
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To correctly value any of the 6 Garands, some very minimal information would be needed. Firstly, the IH and HR pieces were first produced in 1953 - value could be anywhere from $500 to $2500 for either, depending upon condition and correctness. The SA and WRA pieces, if WW2 and all parts are correct to the serial number on receiver could be worth in excess of $2000 each, with the WRA worth up to $4000 depending upon correctness and date of manufacture. If they're mix masters, they could have value less than $800 a piece. The "sniper" could not have been made before 1950's and depending on the model, M-1C, M-1D or MC-1 could bring as much as $7000 or more if correct to as little as $1800 if a put together. So, you see, much more info on the pieces would be needed and a hands-on appraisal to determine "correctness" and ultimate value would be needed. ALSO, stocks would need to have correct cartouches and other markings to be correct. Your 6 Garands could be worth as little as $2000, collectively, to well over $25,000 if all correct and in collectible condition.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Unig: Matching numbers..please explain

Do you mean the revision numbers on the parts approximate the serial numbers' date of manufacture? What I mean is, lets say "revision 12" was a late '43 upgrade to a part, and you have a late '43 receiver? I hope that's what you mean, because none of the numbers in an M-1 are supposed to match any other number in the rifle, unlike the Germans, who stamped the serNo onto all the parts of their rifles.

The "sniper rifle", to be top-dollar, will need to have DCM paperwork stating M1-C/M1-D to validate authenticity. Without the paperwork, there's no way to tell if a standard M-1 has been converted to sniper configuration by a local gunsmith.

...and I'll bet the sniper rifle is a Miltech. They come in wooden boxes.

Get us some good, closeup photos of the numbers on the parts, and we'll take this further. Best, Joe
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing I would check is the barrel.
    It's also hard to believe that someone with 6 garands and 5 with "origional parts" doesn't have an idea what they're worth?
    Were they inherited?