In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

480 or 500

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Decided to replace my 45LC for hunting.Which is the better choice the 480 Ruger or the 500 Smith,or maybe just a 44mag.It's for bears and lions over dog's with an occasional muledeer

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I kinda like the 460 S&W....
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the .460 because you can shoot the .460 plus .454 and .45LC all in the same gun--very versatile and won't cost a fortune to just plink with the .45LC loads. Just make darn sure to wear great ear protection as that pistol along with the .500 are extremely loud.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    So just what will the 480 or 500 do that your 45 Colt won't already do? If you are a reloader just load the 45 Colt with some heavy for caliber hard cast bullets and go fo it. I load mine with the 370 grain cast bullets from Cast Performance. You can also buy +P ammo for the 45 Colt from Buffalo Bore and Garretts I believe.
  • Options
    DakotaElkSlayerDakotaElkSlayer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I would go with a BFR in .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger. It will kill anything that a 500 will, and you won't need a silly muzzle-break in order to shoot it.

Jim
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is some good advice as to the 460 S&W. It can shoot the 460, 454 or 45LC. It is not something that is going to be conveintly holstered though, but neither is the 480 SRH. It all depends on how you plan to set this up, and how you are going to or want to carry it. You make mention that you are hunting lions and bears over dogs. I personally would go with a Super Black hawk, Red Hawk, or Super Red Hawk in 44 Magnum. If you go with a Super Red Hawk, I would get it in 454, so you can use the 45LC loads also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen for your help.the reason for moving up from the 45LC is I don't have enough time to reload very much and wanted to buy hunting ammo off the shelf
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For maximum power at maximum range the 460 is the way to go. (If you leave out the TC with the rifle calibers. Even then the 460 will out perform nearly all but the exotics.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guy came by about an hour ago and GAVE me a superblackhawk 44mag,guess thats what I'll try for now