In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 45 Auto Pistol - Which to Buy???

dirtyharry331dirtyharry331 Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies),
I will be in the market for a 1911A1 45 ACP sometime soon. I am looking for these qualities;
- Stainless Steel
- Novak rear sight / or similiar
- Better hammer & adjustable trigger
- Will shoot good groups "out of the box".
- NO INTERNAL MANUAL LOCK!
- Reference firearm, Springfield "Loaded" 1911A1

I have been check the sales and notice prices and differences. I find Springfield has some parts made in Brazil. I would like to have a completely "MADE IN AMERICA" or better foriegn manufactured pistol with no internal manual lock. Here's your chance to help me with my decision. PLEASE HELP! All comments appreciated.
Again THANKS, and as always GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PistolNutPistolNut Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased a Kimber Gold Match II about five years ago. Terrific gun and seems to have all the qualities you are looking for. Shoots terrific groups out of the box. Never had any problems, But be ready to drop a grand on it.

Purchased a blue Taurus PT1911 about six months ago. They now offer it in stainless and it has all the features you are looking for at an affordable price. Great gun also, but dont expect the quality of the Kimber.
  • Options
    PistolNutPistolNut Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Taurus is made in Brazil. So much for Made in America. Still a pretty good gun.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Kimber [;)][:D] The model depends on your wallet [:p]
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the new Dan Wesson 1911s from CZ. They have a 4" Commander type (CBOB)with a rounded butt and a conventional 5" 1911 with adjustable rear sights. The 4" comes with Novak night sights.

Excellent quality overall and a lock up/slide to frame fit that is the best I've seen on anything production. I bought the CBOB 1st then went back and bought the 5".

At our local gun stores the DWs are selling much better than anything else. Cost about $950.00 each.

FYI - I had a Springfield Loaded, sold it after I got my 1st DW.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PistolNut
    The Taurus is made in Brazil. So much for Made in America. Still a pretty good gun.

So is the Springfield
  • Options
    dirtyharry331dirtyharry331 Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input so far but what about Sig, Wilson, etc.? Is Kimber really the best? Could some work on another model equal the Kimber?
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Old Kimbers are better than the new stuff. If you can afford them, a Wilson, Nighthawk, or Les Baer are top notch 1911 guns.
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Sig GSR "carry" that has been a dream since round #1. Has eaten everything I've fed it so far, and is definitely one of the most consistently accurate guns I've ever shot. Less than a grand, and you get a lot of the features you listed w/o having to tink with it.
    If I were to purchase another it would probably be one of the lightweight S&W's.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Les Bear is the best,but you will pay for quality
  • Options
    exmasters shooterexmasters shooter Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Les Bear is the best,but you will pay for quality
    Unless Les Baer changed his policy be ready to pay for shipping back to him if anything goes or is wrong with the gun when you get it and shoot it.

My ex and I bought full house steel guns from him back in (92) and her gun would go full auto when the trigger was pulled and we contacted him and he said to ship the guns on our dime and he would take care of it. It cost about an extra $100 or more in shipping and insurance.
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the caliber .45 a.c.p. stands for automatic colt pistol so IMHO purchase an older colt 1911 national match series 70! there are stainless steel models available as well. any thing else is clones! im not saying that there arent any other "good" 1911's made by other company's but unfortunatly i have a lot of knowledgable experience with everything else and a lot of money wasted! wait for perry shooter! he knows a lot about 1911's. best!
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go with a kimber. i suppose it's possible that a wilson or les baer would be a little better quality, but trust me, if you get the kimber you'll swear you can't get any better. i wouldn't sell mine for ANY price!