In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A.H. Fox Sterlingworth

DeRoche117DeRoche117 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have an A.H. Fox Sterlingworth for sale on the auction right now. I'm new to SxS's and people are asking questions I don't always have the answers for. The most FAQ is the length of the barrels. I measure them at 27" exactly. Assuming all on the gun is original, shouldn't they be 28"? Having only been around pumps and autos, I've never heard of a 27" barrel. I'm only used to seeing 28". Any info would be great.

Comments

• Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the barrels are measured from the face of breech (firing pin) to end of barrel
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Morning 117,

If measured correctly-the barrels have been cut.
    Pls post a link to your auction.
    Best.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U need more photos man. nobody's gonna take u'r word for it. More pix of the barrel and wood are imperative,to get any kind of price outta that gun...My .02. Others will agree, i'm sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips on selling but I really only need help with my barrel question, not a lesson on how to sell guns. Back to my post. The barrels show no sign that they have been cut. I can't figure this out.
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first two responders are correct; the barrels should measure-in this case-28 inches exactly from the breech face or the rear of the barrel to the front. The barrels should also be within at most a sixteenth of an inch of touching each other at the muzzle end. But assuming your measurement is correct, the above is moot; Fox barrels came in two inch increments starting at 26 in. and possibly going as high as 32. 27 inches is not possible-at least from the factory. -Asa
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DeRoche,
    Most early American shotgun manufacturers placed a code or choke measurement on the barrel flats. If you can find the original factory choke indication you could take an actual measurement and make a comparison. To me it sounds a lot like someone decided cylinder chokes were more useful that the more common full/modified chokes found on longer barrels and made something more suitable for upland bird hunting. My buddy has an early Ithaca NID side by side that received a similar treatment. His barrels measure 27 1/4" and measure real close to cylinder. From my perspective the barrels looked original so it was a well done professional job. The barrel flats indicate the factory chokes were a 4 for full choke and 2 for improved.

On some shotguns 27" barrels are not uncommon. I recently purchased a Grade IV Ugartechea (Spanish built) 20 gauge sidelock SxS with factory 27" barrels. I think 27" is about a perfect length for field use.