In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hornet aol question continued.

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Mond,

I would not grind off the tips, nor seat them deeper. This is a classic situation of a high ratio ogive profile such as a VLD. I'd simply shoot them single shot.

you might take a look at the magazine and determine if there is a possibility of removing the block in the back of the magazine. I'm not up to date on CZ 527 mags for the .22 Hornet but if they are like Savage they just put a block in the back of the magazine to shorten it up a bit. See if that can't be shaved down first.

I can't see a problem with the .22 Hornet being loaded so the ogive is below the crest of the mouth of the case. It does look weird and something would tell me personally to check it out a bit more before I decided to go with it.

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 40 grain Sierra Varminter over a full case of little gun and it is seated to normal OAL and the ogive is inside the case mouth. I have had no issues, none. It has proven to be an extreemly accurate handload, though it will not cycle from the mag of my old Savage 342, so clumsy single shot loading is the only way. Well worth it though.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually I load the 40 grain b-tip in a hornet for Ruger 77/22h's. My take on this, with the problem you have(manufactures are not taking to account the new bullets for the hornet, or ones that work well. they are looking at the old specs.), and here is my solution. Since the hornet has a long enough neck, and you are not intruding on powder capacity with H110, or lil'-gun, I trim the case neck back, and seat the bullet so it will just clear the magazine, or lands in the rifle by 0.015". I have developed extremely accurate, safe loads like this.

I do think the manufacturers need to get on the ball with this, and make the rifles and magazines to accept the b-tips, and v-max bullets. They have a specific 35 grain v-max with a more rounded ogive to support the old hornet.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't had this problem myself, but I like tsr's approach. It may be nit picking, but when you seat the ogive below the neck it seems like you increase the chance of crud or debree accumulating in the pocket and/or the neck catching on the chamber wall when loading.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fellows,

There is an easy solution to this... rechamber the rifle to the K-Hornet cartridge, and reload using the 35 grain V-max bullets[^].
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Fellows,

There is an easy solution to this... rechamber the rifle to the K-Hornet cartridge, and reload using the 35 grain V-max bullets[^].

I would think you wouldn't have that problem with the 1885...[:0][:0][:0][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Fellows,

I would think you wouldn't have that problem with the 1885...[:0][:0][:0][:D][:D][:D]

I don't have the problem... but you guys do[:0]. My 1885 Single Shot will digest almost any 22 Hornet or K-Hornet round that I feed it. I was justing suggesting a useful solution for you all to consider[^].
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Savage 340 that is the best 22 centerfire I own. I have rarely used the magazine. 40-50gr bullets work fine, I guess I'm just as happy using it as a single shot.
    Inside of 100 yards it is the best shooter I have.