In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Casting bullets and reloading question, 500 S&W

lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
With the rising cost of ammo I'm sure I'm not alone in getting out the reloading equipment and dusting off the bullet casting stuff and starting to roll my own again.

But, halftimers disease has set in, and I have a question (that I am sure I should know the answer to but don't) regarding cast bullets, lubing, and gas checks.

I always lube the bullets regardless of application but, as I remember, gas checks aren't needed if velocities are kept low. I know I never used them on .45 ACP, 38 Sp or 44 mag. But I am going to start casting bullets for a 500 S&W and, although I intend to keep the loads light, am not sure whether anything I feed it needs a gas check regardless of velocity. Not sure whether it needs sizing if it's just plinking and practice either.

I'm casting a mix of wheelweights and range pickup bullets, don't know the hardness but it seems as hard as the purchased cast bullets I have. I use Alox lube but haven't gotten the mold for the 500 yet so am not sure what it's going to look like.

Appreciate the help,

Dan R

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to size and lube. If the mould you ordered is for a gas check bullet use one. I've always had better luck using gas checks.I use the same lead mix as you and have no problems with leading in anything I shoot.