In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

h&r bulldog

bungledbillbungledbill Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
help! i recently inherited a revolver and i can't quite figure the caliber....it's a solid frame with a 2" octagonal barrel...it is a six shot double action...the only markings i can find is on the top strap..it says THE H&R and under that it says BULLDOG...and underneath the left grip is stamped the #411....a standard (not special) s&w 38 round is way too big as is a standard 32 round and the way the hammer and cylinder are set up it looks to be a rimfire revolver...i just don't know much about these old wheel guns...any help would be great...thanks

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that is 32 short rimfire.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bungledbill
    help! i recently inherited a revolver and i can't quite figure the caliber....it's a solid frame with a 2" octagonal barrel...it is a six shot double action...the only markings i can find is on the top strap..it says THE H&R and under that it says BULLDOG...and underneath the left grip is stamped the #411....a standard (not special) s&w 38 round is way too big as is a standard 32 round and the way the hammer and cylinder are set up it looks to be a rimfire revolver...i just don't know much about these old wheel guns...any help would be great...thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks a lot brier49,i'll give it a go...i sure was lost there...good luck and good shooting
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    the H&R bulldog, is a variant of the H&R AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION. no company name or caliber markings on the left side of the barrel indicate it is a first model 2nd variation (1888-1897). as there are no factory serial number records this is as close as it can be dated for now.

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER MODEL):
    1884-1904
    32 caliber 6 shot, 38 caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, barrel length 2?, 4? & 6 inches nickel finish standard, blue considered rare. Marked on top strap "AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION",
    first variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard
    1884-1887
    second variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard
    1888-1897
    third variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel
    1898-1904
    100%=$225 60%=$95, 1st Variation rarely seen, add 50% premium., for all American Double Actions variations and variants: add 15% premium for blue finish, add 10% premium for 4 ? " or 6" barrel, add 5%-10% premium for nickel trigger guard (pre 1898)

BULLDOG FIRST MODEL LARGE FRAME (Rimfire Calibers)
    1888-1904
    32 short or long Rimfire 6 shot, 38 Rimfire long or short 5 shot (Variation of American Double Action First Model Marked on top strap "H&R BULL DOG"
    100%=$235 60%=$95

SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    1888-1904
    Same as American Double Action First Model except has patented Spurless Hammer, patent date will be marked on Hammer. Marked on top strap "SAFETY HAMMER DOUBLE ACTION"
    100%=$235 60%=$95

bill