In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 ammo

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just bought me a cetme today. Wichita has a gun show this weekend I want to get military ammo or something that I can shoot pretty cheep I'd appreciate any information on what is decent and what to stay away from.

Comments

• joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    I posted this on the general forum and realized this might be a better place. Any one have any suggestions on factory 308 ammo? Brand, tips, wieght etc? I'll be hitting the show this weekend and I want to buy some decent ammo for my new M1A (M14)Norinco. I haven't shot it yet as this is the first rifle in this caliber I own. I'll be using the rifle for target only but am limited to factory as I don't reload. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks [8D]

Explosion.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
    edited November -1
    what weight bullet does a 1/11 rate of twist usually prefer in 308?
    edited November -1
    After reading the first post a yellow head like me almost thaw all my
    .308 or shall I say 7.62 nato. I am one of those people who threats them the same never had problems. I am not sure if these problems accrues in semi auto or bolt action rifles only. Personally I have HK 91 and FAL. And had no problem with both ammo. Also my Remington PSS eats them like a pig with decent accuracy. (Only use them when my friends are over at the range cheap SOBs don't wanna spend money on mach ammo yet they like to shot my PSS. any way. last week I won a bet with the owner of the local range. his FAL jammed on South African ammo so he said if I spit 2000 rounds out of my FAL with out a jam he will give my remaining 20 cases but if I fail I have to buy 5 cases from him. I WON. The point is, that damages can happen if you shoot continuously with out a rest. I had shoot 5000 rounds in total with breaks to reload (20 mags at the time with 4 people reloading) and nothing, maybe it's just me rifle
    edited November -1
    ive been getting prvi partizan ammo for shooting in my m1a. ive been running their 145 grain fmjbt through it. i see prvi also makes a 150gr soft point loading. these 2 loads should have near identical trajectories right? close enough for hunting purposes out to 200yd max?
    edited November -1
    Would match ammo , 308 147gr BTHP make a good hunting round?
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A zero for one should still be within minute-of-whitetail at that range.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're talking less than a 4% difference in mass between the two bullets.

Assuming similar powder charges (and I'm not entirely sure you CAN assume that), the difference in trajectory should be minimal, maybe an inch or two at 200 yards.

I think the best way to convince yourself is to actually go and shoot a few rounds. You probably should do that with any hunting round, just to prevent unpleasant surprises, and in this case with your gun already zeroed for a similar one, it shouldn't take too many.