In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Somethings wrong with my Gold Cup

skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
When I'm standing still , the GC likes to put holes in the 10 and 9 ring, but when i'm walking and shooting something happens [B)]. No 10 and 9 rings lol. I can't imagine what's wrong...

I'm thinking my Elliason sights are too precise.I want to be on target and pulling the trigger in 2 secs or less..When I look down my 70 Govt model barrel , there is more air around the front sight than when I look down the Gold Cup.

No.I'm not going to grind the rear sight. Are parts for the rear sight available online ? I wouldn't mind opening up a spare part.

any suggestions?
to save money on shooting practice ammo. I'm thinking I need a 22 conversion kit, that way I'd be practicing with the same weight and trigger pull. same gun. almost.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure what discipline you are shooting, but my advice would be do not hack on the Gold Cup. I would get something else like a Para Ordnance to use. I know you are looking for a 3 dot system, but may I suggest to help your speed just one dot up front on your Gold Cup. You can do that with white model paint and a toothpic to test it out. you might have to sight it in for center at dot, instead of 6-0'clock though.

Best
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Are parts for the rear sight available online ? I wouldn't mind opening up a spare part.

Yes.
    You could get a replacement and widen the notch to give the same amount of light around the front.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=49256/pid=23101/sku/Elliason-Accro

That will help with speed shooting and shooting on the move.
    It might not put you in the 9 and 10 ring, I have trouble enough with the big IPSC A Zone and IDPA Zero ring shooting on the move.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    I am not sure what discipline you are shooting, but my advice would be do not hack on the Gold Cup. I would get something else like a Para Ordnance to use. I know you are looking for a 3 dot system, but may I suggest to help your speed just one dot up front on your Gold Cup. You can do that with white model paint and a toothpic to test it out. you might have to sight it in for center at dot, instead of 6-0'clock though.

Best

No way am I going to hack on my one and only GC .. I think the white model paint will be a big help.

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    quote:Are parts for the rear sight available online ? I wouldn't mind opening up a spare part.

Yes.
    You could get a replacement and widen the notch to give the same amount of light around the front.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=49256/pid=23101/sku/Elliason-Accro

That will help with speed shooting and shooting on the move.
    It might not put you in the 9 and 10 ring, I have trouble enough with the big IPSC A Zone and IDPA Zero ring shooting on the move.

You guys are great !! A white dot on the tip and a little more air on a new back sight and I think I'll be shooting better !!
    I did an introductory clinic 2 months ago. I did my first real IDPA shoot Sat. I found out that I need a lot of work on shooting and moving. suprise. I just bought a range timer,targets and lumber and duplicated the stands. I have a small hill out back where I can shoot 2 average targets and one short one. practice practice practice !!!
    Once again for you CCW guys. IDPA will show you where your weakness is

thanks again guys
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    When shooting on the move you need to keep your knees bent and walk like a "DUCK". That way your legs move smooth and you can keep your upper body from bouncing up and down. Try it at home with some dry firing. MAKE SURE THE GUN IS EMPTY [;)]
  • Options
    OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who had a similar problem with his Kimber. I got him to send it to me for an extensive evaluation. Now he doesn't have the problem any more and I'm enjoying the evaluation. My address is....... :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dsc,

I've got some snap caps to practice with, but my wife's dog hides under the couch when I practice. i'll have to try the duck walk.

OLDCOP

you don't have a 22 conversion kit I can try out for you, do you [8D]
  • Options
    OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skychaser...actually, I do! I bought it from Ciener (sp.?) but don't use it much. Nice item to have with my Kimbers.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Practice - Practice - Practice