In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sale of firearms

jmarinkov5267jmarinkov5267 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am new to gunbroker and was curious if I need to ship my firearms through an FFL dealer on my end. I know they must be sent to an FFL dealer, but do I need ship from mine to the buyers.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can ship direct to your buyers FFl "if" that FFL will receive guns from a Non-FFL. Have your buyers check ahead of time to see if their FFL will do that.

There are many FFL's who will not, so you would then have to have an FFL at your end ship to your buyers FFL.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In 99% of all cases you don't need an FFL to ship but there are dealers who won't accept firearms from non dealers because, well, just because! Make sure that you and the receiving dealer are totally clear on this issue before you send him the gun.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One exception to the rule- HANDGUNS going TO New York State not only must go TO a FFL, they must be shipped FROM a FFL. NY State law requires a FFL to receive face to face, or FROM a FFL for handguns only.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience has been that most dealers with a "I don't receive firearms from a nonlicensee" policy will make an exception for you if you tell them, "I will include a photocopy of my drivers license for your records, as well as the name, address, & phone number of your customer who is purchasing the gun."

Most have received guns without any identifying information, making it impossible to enter in their "bound book", or find who actually ordered the gun from you. Once they know that you are a reasonable person, they are more likely to want to do business with you.

Neal
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Note that with a handgun it may be cheaper or at least break even on the cost to xfer it to a local to you FFL for $15-20, pay him/her to ship it (another 20-25 depending on where and insured value) than for you to ship it next day over night via ups or fed ex ($60-75)
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    jmarinkov5267,

Hello, and welcome to the Gunbroker forums.

Yes, in most cases, you can send directly to the recieving FFL dealer. However, as stated in ablove posts, there are some communist state's here in the USA, who believe Stalin, and Hitler still live. It is best, in most cases to make sure, and if you are the seller, in your auction, put several qualifier's in...Like "make sure your FFL, will accept shipment from a non-FFL", "Shipping will happen, only after funds clear bank", "since the item is for asle locally, I reserve the right to end the auction early". All these are designed to protect the seller.

Best