In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pistol Cleaning after the Range.

clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
Lake Saint Louis Police Department uses this really cool Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner for the officers Service weapons. I am very interested in purchasing one of these to use after I have a day at the range.
Seems like it would save a lot of time cleaning multiple pistols and possibly better then I could.

My question is if there is any draw backs to using this on my firearms?
I have some really old pistols from back in the 30's. Luger, H&R, Remington and so on. Can the Ultra sound affect the metals in anyway.
I would guess not but would like some input from those who have used it.
I know in the Luger there is a rubber bumper, would this be of concern to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brad

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO if you have something that will clean burnt powder, lead, copper jacket, material it will leave the pistol with NO lube on it anywhere so you need to pull it down to lube anyway. BTW I have a number of lugers and I have never found the rubber bumper you ask about could you tell me where it is located [?]Please.
  • clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The advantages of the ultrasonic cleaner is that it can reach debris from the smallest and tightest places. This would include spots like around and behind the firing pin on a Luger.

Speaking of which, that is where the rubber is located. It was added as an after design to prevent damage to the firing pin. If you fire your Luger's it is highly recommended to cement this piece in place to prevent damage. They suggest cutting it out from and inner tube if your Luger's do not already have this piece installed.
    You can find more information about that from "The Luger Pistol Mechanical Features" that a guy on Gunbroker sells.

Brad
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    Ultrasonic cleaners are great but expensive.

There is no risk to the metals.

The process involves submerging the guns and parts in a tank with a water based cleaner. Cleaning takes about 15 minutes.

You then rinse the gun and parts in hot water and dry. A air nozzle helps with the drying.

Next you submerge the gun and parts in a water displacing lube that puts a lube into the furtherest reaches and smallest crevices.

When the lube dries to a non oily film you reassemble the gun.

The lube is petroleum based and might damege the rubber bumper. There are a lot of different rubbers and petroleum prosucts ofter casue the to swell and or deteriorate.