In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

PORTING ???

seasoned-gunsseasoned-guns Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
QUESTION: I HAVE A TAURUS 415. 41 MAGNUM 2 & 1/2 INCH BARREL.
KICKS LIKE A MULE. I LOVE THE GUN. I'M THINKING OF HAVING IT PORTED. MY 357 MAGNUM IS PORTED AND HAS A VERY MILD RECOIL.

DO YOU LOSE MUCH, IF ANY, MUZZLE ENERGY BY PORTING.
A YEAR AGO CHRISTMAS DAY, I HAD A "WANT TO BE" BURGLAR TRY TO RUN OVER ME WITH HIS CAR WHILE MAKING HIS ESCAPE. SURGERY FOR A TORN ROTATOR CUFF AS A RESULT.
I WANTED SOMETHING THAT WOULD BUST THE BLOCK OF A CAR ENGINE WITH 1 OR 2 SHOTS. THEREFORE, THE 41 MAG. THE 5 SHOT SMALL FRAME MAKES IT EASILY CONCEALED, ALSO.
I DO NOT WANT TO DEFEAT MY PURPOSE IN HAVING THIS HAND CANNON.
ANY EDUCATED ADVICE???
CONTACT DIRECT AT:
chickapenhill@yahoo.com
THANKS
SEASONED-GUNS

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .357 Herret in a 10 inch Contender Magna-Ported years ago and there is next to nothing lost as far as muzzle energy goes.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "41 MAGNUM 2 & 1/2 INCH BARREL".......you will not loose much but.... it will take a lot more than that to "bust an engine block". you just don't get that much (except noise)out of a 2 1/2" barrel anything.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Have you ever fired a ported pistol after dark? Even at dusk, your going to be blind for at least 2 minutes. Time enough for the perp to stomp you a new one. DO NOT do it to a defence pistol. You say you have a .357 mag. well step out side and try it tonight. Make sure your wife or somebody is there to help you after wards.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by seasoned-guns
    KICKS LIKE A MULE. I LOVE THE GUN. I'M THINKING OF HAVING IT PORTED. MY 357 MAGNUM IS PORTED AND HAS A VERY MILD RECOIL.

A YEAR AGO CHRISTMAS DAY, I HAD A "WANT TO BE" BURGLAR TRY TO RUN OVER ME WITH HIS CAR WHILE MAKING HIS ESCAPE. SURGERY FOR A TORN ROTATOR CUFF AS A RESULT.
    I WANTED SOMETHING THAT WOULD BUST THE BLOCK OF A CAR ENGINE WITH 1 OR 2 SHOTS. THEREFORE, THE 41 MAG. THE 5 SHOT SMALL FRAME MAKES IT EASILY CONCEALED, ALSO.
    ANY EDUCATED ADVICE???
    CONTACT DIRECT AT:
    chickapenhill@yahoo.com
    THANKS
    SEASONED-GUNS

Turn off your caps lock!
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I agree Mike Whiskey, a 41mag wont bust an engine block..

One of the few pistol rounds that might is the 50Action Express with hot 400 grain FMJ ammo. a 6" 44mag revolver might with heavy jacketed bullets loaded hot.

Back in the day when you could get AP pistol ammo, a .357 would have been all you'd need.. Alas washington DC banned it.

I'd tell you to do what I do, If it dont come with sling studs its a back up.[:D]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I don't think porting will help such a short barrel much. My T-C 14in.45-70 and 71/2in Redhawk 44mag. and Dan Wesson 44mag. are all ported and it helps them. But in a short barrel the bullet will be out before much pressure hits the ports.
  • elkdroppingelkdropping Member Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a stretch to say that a 41 will break an engine block. If ported it will completely ruin your night vision, a ported .41 will create a huge fireball!
    Save the money you would have spent on porting and get a shotgun or semi-auto rifle for home defense. Handguns, even big ones like the .41 should be used as back up or to fight your way to a shotgun. Get a good dog. Anything over 40 lbs. will do. It does not need to be trained guard dog, they make great intruder alarms and will slow down even a determined bad guy. Speaking of alarms, get one. One that has remotes that you can put next to your bed and carry on your keychain, and is wired to PD and FD. Also get one that has a cellular back up that will call for help if your line is cut. Remote driveway alarms that chime when someone drives onto your property are cheap and work well. Last but not least, get motion sensor lights for all four corners and the entrances to your home. Lessons learned the hard way by myself and my family. If your goal is to stop a vehicle full of bad guys and If the bad guys are fleeing, they no longer pose a threat and you could be in for criminal and civil proceedings if you kill or injure them at that point... Lastly educate yourself about when you can and when you can't use deadly force. Very good instructional books and DVDS and hands on training at http://www.thunderranchinc.com/home/index.html Good luck.....quote:Originally posted by seasoned-guns

ANY EDUCATED ADVICE???
    CONTACT DIRECT AT:
    chickapenhill@yahoo.com
    THANKS
    SEASONED-GUNS