In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Sportsman Double Action

ekkekk Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,
I am new to this forum; it is a very informative forum.
I recently purchased a new .22 revolver. It is an H&R double action revolver. I have been searching the web for a few hours trying to find information on this revolver, lots of information but none describes mine enough to satisfy my interest.
I have an H&R Double action 9 shot .22 top break revolver. It's serial number is 43816 and has adjustable front and rear sights (front adjustment screw is just above muzzle), firing pin and hammer are one piece, one piece wood grips, top of barrel is flat, 2 patent numbers on cylinder and stamped 22 Long Rifle CTG. on right hand side of barrel.
Does any one have any idea of the date and any information on this gun?
The gun fires ok, but the firing pin seems to be chipped on the end. I think the hammer and firing pin is one piece? Any idea if this part would be replaceable, and any thought where one could be obtained?
Thanks a ton for any help.
EKK

Comments

• Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    SPORTSMAN DOUBLE ACTION MODEL 999 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK
    1932-1952
    Large frame double action top break revolver; Caliber 22 rimfire (short, long & long rifle) cylinder capacity 9 rounds, 22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF) cylinder capacity 7 rounds; Safety rim cylinder; blue finish only; barrel length 6 inches (ribbed); Automatic cylinder stop; Sights: rear adjustable for windage only, Three different front sights used, full Blade, Partridge type & Partridge type pinned to barrel top rib, all non-adjustable; Finger rest trigger guard; One piece oversized checkered Walnut grips (birds head grip frame shape, Rice frame); frame mounted firing pin, hammer face is flat. Cylinder release is long pivoting lever on right side of frame (there are two different version of this). Serial numbered in its own series from 01 up to at least 89761 by the end of 1939. Starting in 1940 letter codes were used. Early production until about 1933 the letter code "D" was used to denote double action
    First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with Blade non-adjustable front sight
    1932- to before April 18,1933
    Second Variation; adjustable front sight
    1933 (after 4-18-1933)
    Third Variation; firing pin moved to hammer
    Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered
    Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one)----1936 (after 3-17)-1937
    Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel----1937-1939
    Seventh Variation; 22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped
    1940-1941
    Eight Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standard, limited production during WWII years--1942-1952
    VALUE: 100%=$425 60%=$195 Add 15% premium for 1st Variation; 50% for 22WRF caliber; 30% for 3" barrel (scarce)

this is most likely a 5th variation manufactured between 1936 and 1939

bill
  • Options
    polariscountry500polariscountry500 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always use numeric arms. I dont know if they have a sight, but my grandpa and me order from them. I also have a pistol like you have. They shoot very well. I use mine mostly for trapping.