In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New "Gizmo" from Lee

max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
OK, now I've seen it all! Lee (which I like greatly) is advertising a new sizing gizmo that claims to convert your Factory Crimp Die into something that will take the "base bulge rings" out of pistol casings that were fired in guns that have chambers that don't fully support the case upon firing (called the Bulge Buster Kit").

Now, the true utility of this gizmo remains to be seen; I've never heard of this bain of "base bulge rings" before, so I'm wondering, which model guns are the culprits? Maybe this is a new phenominum due to some of the newer model of guns not supporting the case around the head completely? I seem to remember hearing that Glocks may do this? I notice that of the calibers they list as being capable of "fixing", they leave out the 9mm luger, my most reloaded round! Is this because the 9mm luger is a slightly tapered case, or maybe no guns out there with non-fully supported chambers?

Your thoughts Gents!

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be careful a case that has bulged MAY be weakened to a point in being unsafe. The Glock is one pistol that does the bulging and the 40 S&W is a case that often does this on many different pistols.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I think the one you are talking about is the one for 40S&W cases shot in Glocks. It came out a while back. I think Lee took it off the market because the bulged cases were very week in that area.
  • PdogPdog Member Posts: 291 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know about the lee one or this one but seen a interveiw about it, probably the same thing.
    http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/grxpushthru.html

was saying something about putting all those 40 S&W cases back into use.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While it should certainly be possible to "de-bulge" the cases with an appropriate die, I don't see how doing this would do anything for you other than make the cases LOOK nicer.

Once bulged, the brass in the cases is still going to be weakened in the area of the bulge. Covering up that weakened area with a "de-bulge" device arguably makes things LESS safe, since you're hiding weakened cases.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loading many 40SW, the only issue are Glocks in 40SW, that I've experienced. They bulge the case, you can get two, maybe three reloadings out of them. Not an issue with any other 40 I've been around, HK and XD's are the two that I shoot most. I can reload those until I loose them. Some are on 8 times.

If I know brass is more than once fired, and through a Glock. I avoid it. 40SW only.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found 9mm,40s&w, and last week a 38 special that was bulged so bad it wouldn't size completely. I stopped about 1/4" from full depth and the result looked like a rimmed belted mag case. That one was probably fired in a 38S&W. I handle quite a few range cases and find some 40's that go about 3/4 in the sizer and that's it- ending up with a belt. Those go in the recycled brass bucket.