In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another Winchester model 67 question ?

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a winchester model 67 rifle that is about 12 inches shorter than another model 67 that i had about 40 years ago.It has a chrome trigger guard on it.The one i bought in 1962 had a blued trigger guard on it.It is locked away at the moment so i cannot give anymore info on it.I got it about 30 years ago.

EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, it is most likely 7-inches shorter. In August of 1938, Winchester began making a "Junior Rifle" (a.k.a. Boys rifle) variant with a 20-inch barrel (versus the standard 27-inch barrel).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does the chrome trigger guard give any idea to it's age ?

EvilDr235
  • Options
    littlegunlittlegun Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what's the difference between the model 60 and the 67 and which is more collectable
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    Does the chrome trigger guard give any idea to it's age ?

EvilDr235

Yes it does... Winchester began chromium plating the trigger guards in late September of 1945.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by littlegun
    what's the difference between the model 60 and the 67 and which is more collectable

The only difference between the Model 60 and the early production Model 67 was the safety. The Model 60 safety required turning the cocking piece, whereas the Model 67 has a more tradition push lever style safety on the right rear side of the bolt with "Safe" and "Fire" positions.

In my opinion the Model 60 is more collectable for several reasons; it was only manufactured from December 1930 through 1934, and the total production was just 165,754 rifles. The Model 67/67A on the other hand, was manufactured from April of 1934 through December of 1963 with 652,538 manufactured. That said, there are were several variations of the Model 67/67A that are much less common, and they are highly collectable (the Junior Rifle, the Smooth Bore, and the 677).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got my Junior model about 1979 or 1980.I traded a Wards Hercules single shot 12 gauge shotgun for it.The model 67 was in pretty good cond,but I wanted to give it to my daughter in a few years so I refinished the stock and reblued the barrel.It has always been a good shooter.My wife and grand daughter still shoot it all the time.Do I feel bad about refinishing it,no.When I got it,it had little value to collectors at that time.I bought it for us to shoot and it has severed that purpose well.My first model 67 sits in friends closet in California waiting for me to buy it back and bring it home.
    EvilDr235
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

The only difference between the Model 60 and the early production Model 67 was the safety. The Model 60 safety required turning the cocking piece, whereas the Model 67 has a more tradition push lever style safety on the right rear side of the bolt with "Safe" and "Fire" positions.

In my opinion the Model 60 is more collectable for several reasons; it was only manufactured from December 1930 through 1934, and the total production was just 165,754 rifles. The Model 67/67A on the other hand, was manufactured from April of 1934 through December of 1963 with 652,538 manufactured. That said, there are were several variations of the Model 67/67A that are much less common, and they are highly collectable (the Junior Rifle, the Smooth Bore, and the 677).

Ok, time for me to chime in. My 67 is marked Model 67. (No A marking) Yet it has no grooves on forestock, and has a almost Mauser type safety on rear of bolt. Is this some kind of Frankenstein?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

Ok, time for me to chime in. My 67 is marked Model 67. (No A marking) Yet it has no grooves on forestock, and has a almost Mauser type safety on rear of bolt. Is this some kind of Frankenstein?

I doubt it, but can you post some pictures?
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    EVILDR235:
    Tell your friend in California when you buy it back that they're worth a lot less than the original price, usually worn and bunged up somewhat.
    My dad bought us one in 1937 and the price on the box was $5.45. Ten years later the older brother wanted to take it as his rifle and paid us our share of $1.26 each. Was glad to get the money as it was a free gift earlier.
  • Options
    kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert are sure of the safety on the model 67 i have 2 and both have the wing on the bolt? flips up for safe 90degree down for fire.thanks Kevin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kms1961
    Bert are sure of the safety on the model 67 i have 2 and both have the wing on the bolt? flips up for safe 90degree down for fire.thanks Kevin

Hello Kevin,

That is exactly what I stated... you call it a "wing" and I refer to it as a lever. Push it up (vertical) to fire, and push it down (to the right) for safe. If you look closely at the bolt you will see that "FIRE" and "SAFE" are marked on the bolt.