In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope Mounts

wbelcherwbelcher Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
hi

i am putting a scope on a new rifle.a friend said to use high mounts.now i always mount my scopes as close to the barrel as i can get.always thought that would be more acurate.Listening to my friend i was curious if it matters?Thinking about triing it but it does not seem like it would be beneficial to me.woundering what othere people think. thanks for the time.

mib

Comments

• wbelcherwbelcher Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHO MAKES SCOPE MOUNTS FOR A COLT LIGHT RIFLE AND DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ITEM # OF THE MOUNTS THANKS
    edited November -1
    Got a really great deal on a New England Handi Rifle in .308. It had a Simmons scope on it with a set of see through mounts. Real akward to see through the scope with that mount. Want to mount a Weaver K4 on it. Suggestions as to a good mounting system. Keep in mind I'll need clearance for the hammer.

By the way.......what can I expect to pay for a 20 guage shot gun barrel for it?
    edited November -1
    hi, is there any specific things i need to consider when mounting my scope? is there any areas i should avoid or anything that would matter or affect anything?, i am mounting a nikon buckmasters 6-18 on my ruger 77/17.any information is appriciated,

Thanks,
    Martin Janczak
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know anything about pop off scope mouts?? the ones like they use in the military, where you can take the scope off to store it, and then snap it back on?? are they accurate? Where can you find them?

* r DONE
    edited November -1
    I purchased a Rem. 700 and it came with scope mounts. Does anyone use these or is it a recommended practice that I just go out and purchase better ones?
    edited November -1
    I just mounted a 3x9-50 scope on a Optima elite with Belgarra barrel. My guestion is how close is too close for the scope bell and barrel clearance? It clears the barrel by 1/16".[:D]
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning (Japan) 1885 rifle with 24" half octagon barrel.
    The receiver and barrel are factory drilled & tapped for mounting
    a scope.
    Can anyone tell me which bases and/or mounts will fit this rifle.
    I haven't been able to find information specific to this rifle.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions on this !
    edited November -1
    Where can I get standard scope mounts to go on a
    1959 Mannlicher Schoenauer. NOT CLAW MOUNTS
    I want to mount a standard leupold scope
    write to traveler6@mwpower.net
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    I bought a savage modle110 from my brother he had someone put a scope on it .I have shot around 500 rounds thru it and can't get the scope sited in when I took of the scope and mounts I noticed that the front holes and the back holes do not line up they are off by about an 1/8th of an inch . does anyone make a scope mount or ring that would adjust to fix this problem??? please help!!![?]
    edited November -1
    was wondering if rifles such as winchester 70, remington 700..etc that are pre-drilled and tap for scopes are all uniform, so that it i decided to buy a weaver or leupold mount it would work on all.
    edited November -1
    I HAVE AN ENFILED 303 AND AN M-44 IN 7.62X54R RIFLES I NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF BASE MOUNTS WOULD FIT THE BEST? I STILL HAVE TO DRILL AND TAP BOTH GUNS,OR DOES IT MATTER WHAT KIND SINCE I HAVE NOT DRILLED AND TAPED THEM?
    edited November -1
    Hi I'm new here and it looks like I may get my question ansered here i hope. as I'm posting this for my brother, he was wondering if he could put scope on a 303 british jungle carbine ? and if so where can he get the mounts ? and the cost ? thanks to all that reply.
    edited November -1
    suggestion for a 99 ARISKA scope mount. Already drilled and tapped.
    edited November -1
    I need advice. I have a scope mounted on a Remington MOdel 700 that is shooting at least 8 inches high at 25 yds with the elevation cranked all the way down. I am using Luepold bases and medium height rings, would changing to low mount Luepold rings bring down the point of impact enough to make it useableat say 100 yds?? I am still getting very tight groupings, just way too high

Nil Illegitimus Carborundum
    edited November -1
    Does anyone manufacture 1" Scope rings that will clamp onto a standard .22 grooved rail approx 1/2" wide?
    Make and approx price?
    edited November -1
    New to mounting a scope. I ordered a set of leupold rings and bases and they don't fit, the rings are dovetail and the bases are standard which leads me to my question. Which is better, the dovetail with no windage base adjustment or the standard with the windage base adjustment. I am mounting a leupold scope and leupold says that their scopes have enough built in adjustment that you don't need the base windage adjustment. Any commments.
    edited November -1
    will the rings on a muzzelloader handel the recoil of a 7 mm rem mag
    the reason I ask is I have a muzzelloader that the rings will work perfect on my 7 mm
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i usually mount a couple hundred riflescopes a year and i use almost exlusively the dual dovetail mounts, usually after the scope is mounted it takes much less screwing around to get the windage set, usually just a few clicks(10 or less). also it is much faster to put them on and if you want to get picky i have seen several differant guns come in with the rear base screws that hold the rear scope ring broken, so less to go wrong. it has happened twice though where i turn the ring in a it snapped the dovetail on the bottom of the ring off, but like i said twice out of a couple of thousand times.

...so in summary it probably doesnt matter, either way would work fine so the above is just my opinion.[:)]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing to remember, when using the dovetail mounts, is to NEVER to use the scope to twist them in...NEVER. You would be better off getting a Weaver style base, and using the Burris Signature Select rings of that style. They have inserts that eliminate the need for lapping the rings.

Best

EDIT1

To make it clear, do not use the scope at all to twist in the ring to the dove tail. Use a wrench on the flats, or the appropriate size dowel for the ring.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice to not over torque using the scope for leverage. Also hold off on the beers till after your finished...