In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stockers Any hints for tang drilling

GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I need to drill a hole in a butt stock for the rear tang screw.
I've done a number of stocks but when it comes to drilling for the tang screw I don't know the correct procedure.
Can someone help?
Thanks

Comments

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should have a good vise to hold stock and a drill press or ask someone who does to drill it.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Ed_HiltonEd_Hilton Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best method for drilling a hole like this is not with a vice. Slide the action on to the wood and start a hole on the upper and the lower using the tang to guide you, about maybe a 1/4 inch deep.
    Now using a drill press clamp a board to the table, place the drill bit in the chuck and drill into the board that is clamped on the table. The hole size i like is the same as a 16 penny nail. Cut the head off a 16 penny nail and insert the nail in the hole pointy side up.
    Now the drill bit and the nail point should be in line with each other. place the stock in between the the nail and the bit. setting one of your pre started holes on the nail and holding only with your hand line the other hole up with the drill bit. Drill slowly clearing chips as you go about 3/4 through. Turn the stock over. place the deep hole now on the nail and line up the other one with the drill and finish the drilling through.
    Doing it this way the hole will be exactlty matched up.!!!!
    It is key to make sure the nail and the drillbit exactly line up. do not adjust the table height after you drilled the board!
    Good luck Ed
  • GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ed_Hilton
    The best method for drilling a hole like this is not with a vice. Slide the action on to the wood and start a hole on the upper and the lower using the tang to guide you, about maybe a 1/4 inch deep.
    Now using a drill press clamp a board to the table, place the drill bit in the chuck and drill into the board that is clamped on the table. The hole size i like is the same as a 16 penny nail. Cut the head off a 16 penny nail and insert the nail in the hole pointy side up.
    Now the drill bit and the nail point should be in line with each other. place the stock in between the the nail and the bit. setting one of your pre started holes on the nail and holding only with your hand line the other hole up with the drill bit. Drill slowly clearing chips as you go about 3/4 through. Turn the stock over. place the deep hole now on the nail and line up the other one with the drill and finish the drilling through.
    Doing it this way the hole will be exactlty matched up.!!!!
    It is key to make sure the nail and the drillbit exactly line up. do not adjust the table height after you drilled the board!
    Good luck Ed
    Thanks Ed,great kink,works great![^]
  • Ed_HiltonEd_Hilton Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to be of service. This works for many other applications also.

Ed