In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Collt Question???

74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I was at the Colt Manu. site and found a colt 1991 double action. According to the picture it doesn't have a external hammer. Am I right in assuming that the picture is correct? The description say's Double Action Only, does this mean that it is the same as an XD action? I think the gun is sweet but I can't find a picture that will show both sides of the gun. I can't even find one for sale on any of the sites I have gone to. All information is appreciated, even where I can buy one cause I live in California. Thanks. Bob

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was called the Colt All American, it was a flop. You can still find them for sale. Colt only made them for about a year in the early 90's.

colt_aa2000.jpg
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt it is going to have that pin sticking out the back like an XD. It could have an internal hammer but it is much more likely it has a traditional hammer that has been shaved off flush with the slide, bobtail style, which is why you can't see it in the picture.
    Double action only (DAO) just means that hammer won't stay cocked. I would argue an XD is more Single action only (SA), since you can't pull the trigger twice without moving the slide partially back to "cock" it.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob they are long since discontinued--being that you live in CA and that gun isn't on the DOJ roster of approved guns for sale, the only way you can buy one is on the used market in CA from a private party--you might find a private party who is selling it at a gun show maybe. Parts are scarce and Colt probably doesn't have anything leftover. The XD is kinda close in the shape and feel and there are many XD models that are on the approved list for sale in CA.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Flop" is a strong (and harsh!) word. The Colt All American 2000 was actually made about three years, from 1991 through 1993. Many thousand were made, so it was not a "flop" production-wise. That said, the fact that Reed Knight designed it and the fact that it was over-hyped by the gun press, created unreasonable expectations for Colt's first (and only)(and late) entry into the "Wonder Nine" market. The trigger turned out to be the feature that hurt it the most, since, despite the "ball bearings," the trigger was often "creepy" on production guns. Still, the trigger is not THAT bad, and the gun is easy to shoot and accurate.

The gun has a rotary-barrel lockup (like Beretta is now using on its Storm series of pistols) instead of the common Browning tilt-barrel lockup. That feature is said to be responsible for the light recoil and good accuracy. I find the shape of the butt frame very pleasing and comfortable to shoot. The gun is a great natural pointer for me.

45forme, the Colt 2000 is striker-fired, and has no hammer. The Colt 2000 does have double strike capability, which the Glock and similar guns do not have.

The market was bad for the 2000 and Colt dropped it when it became clear that the Wonder Nine era was over. In the future, the 2000 will be a scarce gun for Colt collectors to find. One sees optimistic sellers thinking that time is already here when they price the gun way too high. Someday, but now now.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of the polymer versions of the All American 2000. It was an interesting gun but as stated before, the trigger was very creepy. I sent it back to Colt for an upgrade, but the new trigger wasn't much better. Accuracy wasn't too bad as long as you could figure out the trigger. It wouldn't feed 115GR ammo consistently but would shoot 124GR thru 147GR all day. The first run had an aluminum frame and I understand these were better guns and more desireable to collectors. If you are looking for a target pistol, go with something else. If you want a plinker that is unusual and says "COLT" on it, see if you can find one cheap. You will be able to tell if it has had the factory trigger upgrade as there will be an * stamped near the trigger guard and they also sent out an updated owners manual.
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JudgeColt
    "Flop" is a strong (and harsh!) word. The Colt All American 2000 was actually made about three years, from 1991 through 1993. Many thousand were made, so it was not a "flop" production-wise. That said, the fact that Reed Knight designed it and the fact that it was over-hyped by the gun press, created unreasonable expectations for Colt's first (and only)(and late) entry into the "Wonder Nine" market. The trigger turned out to be the feature that hurt it the most, since, despite the "ball bearings," the trigger was often "creepy" on production guns. Still, the trigger is not THAT bad, and the gun is easy to shoot and accurate.

The gun has a rotary-barrel lockup (like Beretta is now using on its Storm series of pistols) instead of the common Browning tilt-barrel lockup. That feature is said to be responsible for the light recoil and good accuracy. I find the shape of the butt frame very pleasing and comfortable to shoot. The gun is a great natural pointer for me.

45forme, the Colt 2000 is striker-fired, and has no hammer. The Colt 2000 does have double strike capability, which the Glock and similar guns do not have.

The market was bad for the 2000 and Colt dropped it when it became clear that the Wonder Nine era was over. In the future, the 2000 will be a scarce gun for Colt collectors to find. One sees optimistic sellers thinking that time is already here when they price the gun way too high. Someday, but now now.

Judge: Thanks for setting me straight. I was trying to answer what DAO meant and took a guess at the 2000' based on its old school looks.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I was at the Colt Manu. site and found a colt 1991 double action.

are you talking about the 1911 style pistol DAO that colt is coming out with? they announced a DAO New agent and a 1991A1 in DAO, but no timetable when they'll actually be available.
    colt has made 1911 style DAO's before (double eagle) but they didn't sell well.
    oh, and the all american WAS a flop. it was manufactured and marketed for military and LEO.
    nobody wanted it! they're still available fairly cheap ($500). the alloy frame model is rarer and much more collectible.
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just traded on of those off a few weeks ago. It was accurate and I enjoyed shooting it. I traded it for a smaller frame carry gun. If you are looking for one I can get you the number to the shop I traded mine to. He may still have it. He also sells on here sometimes so he would probably set up an auction for you. The problem you will have though is the 15 round mags.