In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scopes

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm wanting the best scope for no more than $750.00(unless there is a real standout that is worth an extra $50.00-$100.00).

I have a Leupold picked out. It is the VX III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Side Focus with a 30mm Tube. I was also wondering if the illuminated model is worth the extra money.

I was also looking into Sightron but I can't seem to find a lot of information about them. Can anyone help me out here? Are they as good as Leupold?

Are there any other brands I should look at?

I'm using this for big game and varmint hunting, maybe some target shooting (nothing serious). The gun I am using is a Remington Model 700 308.

Any information/suggestions would be helpful.

Thank You

Comments

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After having several scopes fail me I have gone to B&L and have not had a failure on them. Am useing a 3200 and a 4200 on 2 300 win mag Rifles, they have out lasted any other American scope so far. I still have a few Lueoples left and will use them on 243 cal and below, May be they will hold togeather. I have one at the factory being repaired now and this is the second time in 3 Mo. for that one, and it's a X3. Any way now is the time to buy B&L scopes, before they start making junk.
    edited November -1
    This is some scopes that I picked up with some rifles. The scopes are all in good condition and I would like some values. Comments

Euro-Class Tosco 3-12x52

Bushnell 3x-7x Custom .22 could be brass or steel

Weaver V9-11W USA Micro Trac

KMart All Pro 3x-9x32 Japan

Leupold M8-6x Compact

Leupold 6-18 Vari-XII c

Redfield 6x-18x 5 Star

High Country Tosco 6-24

Leupold 4X12 Vari-X IIc

Redfield 1 1/2X Hand Gun

Tosco 6-24x44 the plastic is melting made in China is there any way to clean this up.

Thank, you

Emmett
    edited November -1
    I have been looking for a scope for my M1A recently and ran across a company called American Technology Network Inc. that makes some nice rifle scopes at a reasonable cost. I have never heard of them and wondered if anyone had and knew anything about them. I usually go with Leupold but these guys caught my attention. Also, has anyone had any problems with SA scopes. I've heard some bad things about them, but have a hard time believing such a great company would make a product that gets such a poor reputation. Thanks for the help.
    edited November -1
    Will almost all scopes fog up on the out side from your breath. I was told when a company says it's scope is fog prof it is only in the inside not the out side. Thanks for the comments Al
    edited November -1
    I have a budget and I want a qualtiy scope for anound $275. Any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    I'm shopping for a scope for my 300 win mag, any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used the Simmons Aetec? I am looking at scopes and trying to decide between that and the Burris Fullfield II. The Burris is obviously a bit more expensive, and if anyone has great things to say about the Simmons Aetex I wouldn't mind saving a few dollars.
    edited November -1
    I WAS ONDERIN IF ANYONE HAD ANY FEEDBACK ON COUNTER SNIPER SCOPES?
    edited November -1
    When a variable power adjustment ring is hard to turn on a 3-9 power scope is there usually something specific that causes the problem? Something to adjust without sending to the factory.
    edited November -1
    Which scope that you actually OWN, do you feel has the clearest image. DO NOT just say brand X or Z because that is what you have, or because it is the most expensive one that you own, please be honest. The reason that I ask this is because I own Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Nikkon, Elcan, Burris, Weaver, and even a lowly BSA on a .22, but I recently purchased a Trijicon and am amazed at the quality or "clarity". <p>

I have always been the kind to lean more towards the higher end scopes, "you get what you pay for" kind of thinker. But do you think that some scopes may just be better "suited" for an individual. I guess what I am trying to say is that I do not believe that there is much difference in the higher end companies, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc.. But maybe different ones just "fit" an individuals eyesight better than others. I am not talking relief but just image quality. <p>

Does any of this make sense, or do I just have too much time on my hands to think about this?
    edited November -1
    looking at a simmons 22mag 3-9x32ao and a bsa sweet 22s 6-18x40ao dose anyone have something to say about the scopes at hand, poss. and neg please help....
    edited November -1
    I would love to have another Luepold scope but i cannot afford a big one. What do you think about the BSA scopes. Who else makes an affotable high power scope? Thanks for your help.
    edited November -1
    Thinking of buying a new scope for my new gun. I bought a rem. model 700 mtn.rifle in 7mm08 for deer hunting,and want a good scope for it.I was looking at bushnells-elite-3200 firefly,has anybody had one of these,and if so,how did you like it? I"m open to any brand,any suggestions? I hunt mainly big-woods type terrain,thickets,open,swampy areas,creek bottoms so-forth,anybody got any suggestions? Thank-you. Dano.
    edited November -1
    Was wondering about choice between leupold varxiii 3.5-10 40mm m1,or Nikon 2.5 -10 44mm illuminated. Any feedback on the nikon? Also is fixed 10 power generally used for longer distance shooting? Thanks for any info.
    edited November -1
    well if the worms crawl out [^] LET THEM [;)]
    what is the best scope on the market for $300.00 or less to go on a 300 Winchester short mag.

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>
    edited November -1
    why is the windage cap on a scope on the right side blocking the ejection port instead of the left side???? anybody know
    edited November -1
    Midway has the following scopes. All 3 are 3X9 40mm. Redfield Revolution with a 13.1 ft field of vision at 9X at 100 yds, priced at 149.99. Nikon Prostaff with a 11.3 ft field of vision at 9X at 100 yds, priced at 159.95. Leupold Rifleman with a 13.1 ft field of vision at 9X at 100 yds priced at 199.99. I know that Redfield is now made by Leupold. My question, is there really any difference in quality in these 3 scopes? Also, does anyone know which of these 3 scopes is best at gathering light? Thanks for your input.
    edited November -1
    Which would be the better scope between the Leupold VX-III or VX3 and 3.5X10 or 4.5X14. Would be used for 100yd to 250yd range.
    edited November -1
    this might be a dumb question but can someone tell me what the numbers on a scope mean like 3x9x32 40 50 what does the 3 the 9 the 32,40,and 50 stand for thanks for your help so when buying a scope what would be the thing to consider the 3 9 32 40 50

I will be using it for deer hunting just need to reach out about maybe 200 yards it will be ontop of a 7 mm rem mag
    edited November -1
    Anyone got an idea of the value of a nib 8-40 Custom shop tasco mil-dot scope. I bought it a few years back for about $3xx new never used it and may want to sell it?
    edited November -1
    WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A BURRIS 3X9X40 FULLFIELD II RIFLE SCOPE IS IT A GOOD SCOPE ?

thomas j. beam
    edited November -1
    I have an ATV with a rubber gun mount on the front.
    Normally I do not carry a scoped rifle.
    If I do so, will the scope setting be affeted by the bounce, etc?
    edited November -1
    what is the next better scope up from a 4x9x40 that is not to exspensive it came on my rem 710 30-06 i want a little bit better one
    edited November -1
    I am looking for input on sightron scopes, good or bad? I'm looking at a S2 6.5-25x50 ao. This is a new brand to me. Can anybody help?
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i suggest you google each one of them and review all their statistics, i did and found them to be pretty much the same.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scopes don't gather light. They transmit it. Even the finest scopes in the world, with the best glass and lens coatings cannot transmit more than 94-96% of the light that strikes the objective lens to your eye. The size of the exit pupil also matters and is a function of objective diameter and magnification. As all of these are 3-9x varibles they will have the same exit pupil at any given magnification. Look for fully multi-coated BAK-4 glass, which likely all of these will have. None is near the top of the line of any of the these manufacturers. My choice would be Burris Signature Select or better, but of these, I would go with Leupold for the warrenty.

Much as I like Brownell's, you can probably find any of these scopes for less by a little googling. Look at SWFA, Bear Basin Outfitters, Soopes n More, Optics Planet, Natchez and there are others. Look for sales, but most of those will beat Brownell prices.
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I certainly agree with HeDog on checking other places on internet for purchasing a scope. Nothing against Midway, I use them regularly for certain gun related things, but none of the over dozen scopes I've purchased the last 4 or so years came from them. Just google the particular scope you are interested in check the supplier's prices and shipping cost. You may be surprised at the wide range of a particular scopes price.

Example, the last scope I bought was a Swift Premier 4-16X44 AO. Most internet sellers had it for at least $180 or much higher. Found it on Amazon.com for $125 + shipping ($13) Amazon had this scope (model 669M) listed twice, one seller for $125, other for almost $200. By the way, darn nice scope for the price, Swift (an optics company since 1920s) uses their own glass, American made product and life time warranty.
  • laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Nikon Prostaff's, and I just ordered one of the new Redfield's. I do know that the Nikon scopes have a lifetime warranty and I have never had a problem with them. They are very clear and bright. The Redfield and the Leupold's have a lifetime warranty as well. The Redfield is even made by Leupold now, so the quality should be right along side the Leupold of equal value.
  • GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold
    The most used by far!
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of your choices, one brand is Made/Assembled in the US and the other is Made/Assembled elsewhere (Philippines?). One brand has an awesome warranty and customer service.

Having said that, I'd recommend them in order as Leupold, Redfield, and then Nikon.

Good luck!

ADDED:

downsize.jpg

I was at one of the local gun shop and had the opportunity to look through the new Redfield and compared with to Burris FFII with BDC.

IMHO, for clarity and eye relief, it's Redfield hands down.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be clear, NO scope maker in the United states builds scopes from the ground up. All use parts sourced from elsewhere, mostly Asia. That is true of Leupold who assembles scopes but does not make their own glass. They do not import scopes however, so maybe that is better.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't post a link to any Burris scopes, but there are quality scopes and a good value for the money you spend. May want to check them out before you buy.
    Regards, MAALOX