In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 24 selector

pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have an early model savage 24. The entire selector assembly is missing. I bought the selector parts, and need info on installing them. How far do I have to disassemble the gun to install the selector parts. I bought a takedown manual but It does not mention the selector mounted on the side of the receiver.

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad news....ALL the way down! IIRC you must strip the receiver to almost nothing, except maybe the firing pins.
  • Options
    pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I suspected it would not be simple. I will take the time to reblue the gun while it is stripped down. It should make a fun gun for one of my grandkids.

Phil
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC, you can convert the side selector type to the hammer selector fairly easily if you desire. Many people think that is the better design.

I personally wish someone would come up with an automatic selector like good double barrels do. That way, you could fire the rifle barrel at a rabbit and if you miss and he takes off, you are ready to go with the shotgun without having to recock, and switch barrels.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.