In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

222 to 223, do it or not?

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy a Rem 600 Mowhawk in 222 Rem. I don't handload I would really like a 223 in that configuration, so, if I get it, should I ream it out to 223 to be able to use more types of ammo?

BTW, I already have a 600 in 308 and a 660 in 243.

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D] Go ahead and have it rechambered.You don't reload ,I don't see the sense in having a .222 when the ammo is so cheap for the .223.I'm sure you are going to get lots of different opnions on this.You just got mine.

[:)] [:D]

ATF
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, the Remington Mohawk 600 and 660's are collectable and I would not cut one up. I would sell the one that I didn't want and buy the one I did.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO YOU WANT TO SELL THE .222. LET ME KNOW. duckhunter140@hotmail.com[?]

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not bought it yet. It's no gem, but not too bad either. I can get it for $375 with base & rings only. About $40 to re chamber it.
  • Options
    rwpiperrwpiper Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is an easy rechamber but keep in mind it may be a 1 in 14 twist barrel so you will be shooting the light bullets. This being an older rifle check the crown on the barrel.
  • Options
    PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TAKE UP HAND LOADING!! THE 222'S ARE GETTING HARDER TO FIND. THEY REALLY SHOOT GREAT, IN SOME CASES MORE ACCURATE THAN THE 223. I HAVE A VARMINT RIG IN 223 THAT IS GREAT ON PRARIE DOGS. ON A SHOOT ONE DAY, A FRIEND PULLED OUT AN OLD BEAT UP REM700 IN 222 AND HE SHOT AS WELL AS THE REST OF US DID WITH OUR HIGH PRICED VARMINT RIGS.
    IF HANDLOADING IS NOT AN OPTION FOR YOU, SHOP AROUND FOR A 223 AND SAVE THE 222 FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS IT.

PRZNCOP110
  • Options
    Daddy2B8162Daddy2B8162 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 222 myself and thought about doing the same thing...I do reload, but at the price for some of the 223 surplus ammo, it is hard to beat it.....But I did not not have mine rechambered for the same reasons that have been mentioned. The 222's are getting harder to find, and when you do find one, they usually bring top dollar ..Factory ammo is @ $10.00 a box, some abit less, and it is a great little round..I am glad that I kept mine as a 222...

Just my 2 bits DD2b
  • Options
    rolgerrolger Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I definitly would not alter gun,it is a collector piece with decent value.The 222 is near 223 in performance with gen. better accuracy.I've got a great Rem 700 in 223 if your into horsetrades?
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another aspect is the reduced velocity with the 18" bbl. I would want at least 22" in a bolt action.

Ray
  • Options
    thecowboyacethecowboyace Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rballi
    I have a chance to buy a Rem 600 Mowhawk in 222 Rem. I don't handload I would really like a 223 in that configuration, so, if I get it, should I ream it out to 223 to be able to use more types of ammo? BTW, I already have a 600 in 308 and a 660 in 243.

This is from Sierra Bullets Infinity Suite CD "Inadequate for military purposes, not as accurate as the 222 Remington, and less powerful than the 222 Magnum. These were just some of the greetings given to Remington's 223, when it was unveiled as the 5.56mm in the AR-15/M16 rifle. In spite of its early critics, the 223 Remington has become one of the most popular sporting cartridges, and has proven itself in several military conflicts worldwide. Perhaps its greatest compliment as a service round came when the former Soviet Union replaced its 7.62x39mm cartridge with a 22 caliber service round that closely duplicated the 223's performance." along w/ this "Unlike most of the currently available semi-autos, factory bolt-actions generally come equipped with 1x12" twist barrels. As such, they can handle Sierra's line of bullets from 40 to 60 or 63 grains, but not the heavier MatchKing designs. This isn't a problem in custom-built rifles, if the shooter chooses a twist rate appropriate for the bullets he plans to use. With this cartridge, we recommend a 1x10" as minimum for the 69 grain MatchKing, and a 1x8" for 77 or 80 grain MatchKings.
    Copyright c 2003 Sierra Bullets, LLC. "

My first real time hunting/target rifle was Remington's short action Model 788 in a .222. In days gone by as a younger person I could take this gun w/ a 3x9-40 Tasco Scope, lay down, on range no wind, 5 holes covered with a quarter. In a sitting mode, w/ a cutoff broom stick. Here is some more from Sierra "For varmint hunting, especially in settled areas, the 222 is best served by either the 50 or 55 grain Blitz bullets. Both sport a thin jacket, designed to expand readily at the 222s velocity levels. In most factory rifles, a 1x14" twist is standard. This twist normally gives best accuracy with bullets of 55 grains or less. With the military adoption of the 223 Remington and the near total movement of benchrest crowds to the 6mm PPC, the "deuce" has lost much of its earlier support. It is still an extremely useful cartridge, and will no doubt see active use as a varmint cartridge for many years to come. At one time or another, the 222 has been chambered in a variety of action types by most arms manufacturers. The fact that it still remains a popular chambering in custom-built rifles is strong testimony to its effective field performance and superb accuracy.
    Copyright c 2003 Sierra Bullets, LLC. "

Goat