In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wm read and sons

noctifernoctifer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
i have a rifle that has been passed down in my wifes family. we know it probably came from ireland before 1800 or so. but thats about it. all it has on it is the maker w.m. read and sons (Boston). is there anyway to find out how old it may be, how much its worth or at least find out more than we know already? i'm thinking there might be some experts that have some tips on certain features to look for on the gun. thanks a bunch!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference identifies William Read & Sons of Boston Mass. as a dealer and importer of firearms and accessories. This dates to after the American Civil War, circa 1870's.

luger_4.jpg
  • noctifernoctifer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info! not quite what i'm after since its a full size rifle that i'm trying to find out about. but we do appreciate it. i'll try to upload a picture asap
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it says Wm Read (Boston) why do you think it predates 1800 and comes from Ireland?
  • noctifernoctifer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well we dont know when it comes from, thats what were trying to find out. but I know because its my wifes fathers gun she knows it came over from ireland with his great grampa were trying to find out when it was made and how it got to ireland if we can. oh and how much its worth. but untill we get a pic up its gunna be hard. [:)]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Since it was made in Boston in the 1870's, it must have gone and come back. You are correct, photos will indeed help.