In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W model 17 DOM

jodividusjodividus Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
Could anyone please give me an idea of manufature date? This 6 inch has the letter K2152XX under the cylinder, along with mod M17-4. the Knumber is also on the bottom of the frame below the grip. thanks, is there a website to look these up?

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By serial number (K2152XX) the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Edition indicates 1954 as the DOM. If you have listed the serial number correctly it sounds like you actually have a K-22 Masterpiece (Postwar, 3rd Model) - Pre-Model 17, which would also have the serial number on the butt as you indicated. However, I would not have expected M17-4 inside the cylinder crane. Is 17-4 on the pistols cylinder frame or on the flip out crane?

17-4 was an engineering change introduced in 1977 and if this appears on the flip out crane then it might be a replacement cylinder assembly.

I'm not a Smith & Wesson collector although I do have several early Model 17 and 18's, so I could be missing something that a true Smith & Wesson collector will pick up on and clarify or correct.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going to see it again Saturday, I'll find out for sure. Will the cylinder being replaced hurt collector value? It is about 95 percent blue, and original grips. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Please understand I don't know if this gun has been altered, I'm just addressing the minimal information that was originally provided. I'm assuming you are correct in referring to it as a Model 17 22 caliber pistol. However, yes, if the cylinder assembly has been replaced it will hurt the value.

When you examine the gun again it would be helpful to write down all markings exactly as stamped and their location on the gun. Also, features like sight, trigger, and hammer configuration (standard or target type). Is there a screw visible in the front face of the trigger guard? Are the grips diamond center checkered walnut Magna stocks or diamond centered checkered target stocks? If you could take pictures of the gun and post them here that would really be helpful.

You can find instructions regarding posting pictures if you look at the top of this forum or follow this link:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

• Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I finally got my hands on it. It is six inch, the only wear is at the very end of the muzzle. It has a large hammer, and case color on both sides. It has the oversize grips with a S&W logo on each side, not diamond in the middle, but checkered. The bottom of the grip on the frame has the numbers 21K52XX, which is also visible on the inside of the cylinder when i open it. on the cylinder portion, there is a large upside down 83, and then right side up are the numbers 63438. On the cylinder where the serial number is, it says MOD 17-4. The hammer is large also, the rear sight is adjustable but does not have a outline, the front sight appears correct. What do I have?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jodividus
    OK, I finally got my hands on it. It is six inch, the only wear is at the very end of the muzzle. It has a large hammer, and case color on both sides. It has the oversize grips with a S&W logo on each side, not diamond in the middle, but checkered. The bottom of the grip on the frame has the numbers 21K52XX, which is also visible on the inside of the cylinder when i open it. on the cylinder portion, there is a large upside down 83, and then right side up are the numbers 63438. On the cylinder where the serial number is, it says MOD 17-4. The hammer is large also, the rear sight is adjustable but does not have a outline, the front sight appears correct. What do I have?Okay, the correct serial number (placement of the letter "K") makes all the difference in the world. [:D]

This is in fact a Model 17-4 and it was made in 1977, the same year as the -4 Engineering Change was introduced. Sounds like it has the Target Hammer, Target Grips, and probably has the Target Trigger (wide). Sounds like a nice original Model 17-4.

• Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the help. Now, there are so many variables when i look for a value on gun broker and other sites. Can anyone give me a fair market buying value? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In the condition and configuration you mentioned, I'd say somewhere in the $450 to $475 range (give or take).

Added for reference:

Here is one that sold for $459 and is about a 1980 gun without the target hammer, trigger, and grips, but was in the box.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93915119

Here is one that sold for $526 and is a 1978/79 gun with the target hammer, trigger, and grips; and it has the box as well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89238733