In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help with Behlert Model 41 conversion to 32 cal

Bill BehlertBill Behlert Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have been selling Austin Behlert's estate inventory to support Mom for a couple years now. Last trip out to Dad's old shop in Pennsy, I picked up three barrels which I identified as S&W Model 41, using my numrich catalog. But these were all bored and chambered for 32 cal, so I was quite confused. Brother Frank tells me Dad was working on this conversion right up until he died. And Mom apparently has one complete, working gun which Dad completed.

Frank thinks this one-of-a-kind gun and parts may have special interest or be a museum collection oddity. But I have no clue where to start to look.

Can anyone offer suggestions how I might get in contact with the right person or organization?

Thanks for all advice,
Bill

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Bill I remember your Dad and you and your brother from some of my early days at Camp Perry I don't know of any Museum that is directed toward Bulls-eye Target shooting . The O.G.C.A. Had a meeting /gunshow last spring that had displays of Target pistols I tried to go with a display but being I am not member of the O.G.C.A. was not allowed. one place you might want to contact is Bill Jenkins he wrote a great book U.S. Military Match & Marksmanship Automatic Pistols . ISBN: 1-931464-18-9 his phone is 1-800-999-4697. I shot at Camp Perry from 1972-2005 . Please go to my profile and contact me if you ever decide to sell any of these Items .I hate to say this but I gave a bunch of items to a NRA official At Perry whose name started with G These were from the 1920's and 30's Programs / Metals / match entry forms Etc including a small bore rifle and pistol They were from the estate of and old guy that taught me the love of shooting I did not get a receipt and when I asked NRA a few years later the were like Sargent Shultz Knew Nothing the only reason for this information is to warn you to get a receipt. if you give to a Museum. they may end up in someones gun room.
  • destindondestindon Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill.........I knew your dad when I had a shop...I would call him if i chanced upon one of his custom pistols and he would be waiting in the parking lot the next morning....He also purchased one of my personal guns.......A Smith & Wesson model 3 revolver that I would dearly like to buy back...If it is still available please e-mail me at destindon1@yahoo.com...Thanks......dd
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,
    Your dad took the time to hand write a letter to me along with detailed sketches to help me with a problem I was having with a H.S. Victor many years ago. I never forgot his kindness and assistance. A gentleman in the finest sense of the word.
    Best,
  • badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Maybe someone over at smith-wessonfourm.com would be of help. Perhaps Jim Supica over at http://www.armchairgunshow.com/ also. Have you tried contacting Roy Jinks at S&W to see if he might know something?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Badsbsnf81 Thanks for your reply However You may not know it but Austin Behlert was a gunsmith /designer that was about 20 years ahead of the factories . His specialties was what at the time was called Chopped & Channeled pistols of the handgun world . He made compact 9MM conversion and 45ACP conversions BEFORE ANY factory made them available. He went to Camp Perry for years to support the Target shooters.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,
    I came across the May 1976 issue of Gun World Magazine this morning. Has a feature article and front page photo of your dad's work.
    Be happy to send it to you if it would have any value , either for yourself, or for someone buying other estate items. Otherwise I'll leave it at the local gunshop and let someone else read about the great work he did.