In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Mini-14 jambing....!?

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
From your sunny south [8D],

I'm going to test a customer's Mini-14 for jambing...never firing more than 2-3 rounds without a jamb. The serial number series is 181-xxxxx if that makes a difference (I have noticed slight differences in other Minis on hand) and wonder if there is a main culprit causing the problem. It id using the factory 5-round mag.

Thanks for the hints ahead of time.

Jim
GunHawke

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    What ammo are you using, and what kind of jam are you experiencing? Is it on feeding or extracting?
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The extractor being worn out could cause stove pips. If it is having problems striping rounds out of the magazine, try other mag to see if the problem goes away. What 45 said better explaination of the jamming.

Emmett
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What mag is the customer using? I'd be suprized if it's the factory mag. Most likely some of the many junk mags out there. Only mags I found to work in mine was factory 5 & 20rds mags.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take down the rifle and remove all four screws taking the gas system completely apart then give it a good cleaning, most shooters of these rifles dont really pay close attention to this area....worth a shot.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Call and ask Ruger about taking the gas system apart. I read that was a problem with the Mini, the gas system not being alined perfect.
    They are supposed to have the problem fixed with the new ones out now.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The screws holding the gas system together are staked and very hard to get out, I ended up drilling out two of the screws. I installed a Weaver rail that uses that part of the rifle to hold the mount in place. If you do not have some experience with working with small parts like the gas system on the mini leave it alone.

I would plug the chamber, shoot a can of brake cleaning fluid and spray it down the muzzel and it should come out of the gas port.

Good, luck

Emmett
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Ruger magazine? Or after market? Odds are its not a Ruger magazine....try a new Ruger magazine.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    He said it is a 5-round FACTORY magazine......BUT, replace the magazine anyway. Don't even fool with it. Get a new mag FIRST and try that before you start taking stuff apart that may not need being taken apart (hmmm...did you get that?[xx(]). Seriously, though, get a brand new, 5-rnd factory mag just like it has now and try it.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Most likely it is a dirty gas block as suggested id start there after the mag change.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to concur with using factory mags. The 20 rounders are not cheap. $40-$50 each.