In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lefever Double Barrel

riflecollectorriflecollector Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Lefever double barrel shotgun. I have several questions and not sure where to look so I thought I would see if any of the gun crew would know.

First of all I would like to know if this gun has steel or damascus barrels? I can not tell by looking at the steel because of the old rust spotting that is on the gun. No pits, just patina and rusty spotting. I am not sure I want to use steel wool or a file at this time to clean the steel to check this out so I thought there may be another way.

Secondly, this shotgun has a round slotted head bolt in the action area where the barrel hinges on the action to tighten up the barrel to the action. I have tried using a screw driver but this screw will not turn in either direction, and I am very careful not to bugger up the screw head ince it is perfect at this point. Anyone know what I need to do to turn this screw and tighten up the barrel to action just a little.

The next question is in regards to the manufacturing date. My blue book says that the Lefever was made from 1885-1916. The patent date on my gun is 1872 through 87. SN range 59700 to 59900.

The last question is about restoration. The old gun is solid, appears to have the original stock with original butplate and forarm that are in good condition for a shotgun of this age. Blueing and Checkering on stock and forearm need to be restored. Should a person get one of these restored and if it would be reasonable to do so, who could do a good job restoring without having to morgage the house to get it done. Any information on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello riflecollector,

The serial number indicates that it is a 1908 production gun.

Typically, the steel will have less patina and rust on the underside of the barrels near the frame. Remove the forend piece, and disassemble the gun. Inspect the underside of the barrels for patterns in the steel. If you see none, the barrels are most likely fluid steel. Also, with the barrels removed, what is stamped on the water table (the flat part of the frame under the breech end of the barrels)?

There is no such thing as a "reasonable" priced restoration. Even simple refinishing (not recommended) is going to cost several hundred $$$. Collectable guns should never be refinished[xx(]. An original Lefever is a quality gun. Either leave it as is, or pony up the $$$$ and have it professionally restored. In the mean time, take the stocks off of it, and apply a liberal coat of Kroil to all of the rusty surfaces. Let is soak in the Kroil for at least 24-hours, then use copper wool to gently scrub looses all of the crud and rust. Clean all of the wood with a quality furniture cleaner. You might be surpised at how well it might look when you are done.