In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dan wesson .44 mag head space block

jstewjstew Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a dan wesson .44 mag revolver with the interchangeable 10 inch barrel. when i got it I dint realize it was an interchangeable barrel gun, it didnt come with the head space block that I guess you need to fit the barrel on. The barrel is loose and I don't want to shoot it until I get the gage. Can some one tell me how thick the gage block is that you use to set the barrel with? I am a machinist so if you can give me a micrometer measurement I can make a block for it. It looks similar to the one in this sale
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=99702302
thanks.

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not know about the 44, but have a DW 357. It uses a flat feeler guage that fits between the face of the closed cylinder, and the rear of the barrel. 6 thousandths. Close cylinder, place feel across end, turn barrel down finger snug against the feeler (should be able to slip it out) put bbl shroud over barrel, tighten barrel nut, remove feeler guage. You can check with DW on spacing, but betcha it is 6 thousandths. Tighter, cylinder may not turn when it gets hot/dirty. Looser, gap flash is excessive.
  • Options
    torizustorizus Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try this sight, it covers all Dan Wessons

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    11b6r covered what you need to know. All you need is a feeler guage, it's the same for all DW'S, and the barrel wrench.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Do not know about the 44, but have a DW 357. It uses a flat feeler guage that fits between the face of the closed cylinder, and the rear of the barrel. 6 thousandths. Close cylinder, place feel across end, turn barrel down finger snug against the feeler (should be able to slip it out) put bbl shroud over barrel, tighten barrel nut, remove feeler guage. You can check with DW on spacing, but betcha it is 6 thousandths. Tighter, cylinder may not turn when it gets hot/dirty. Looser, gap flash is excessive.

+1.

One more benefit of a narrower gap is slightly higher muzzle velocity.

FYI, Smith and Wesson (not Dan Wesson) considers a cylinder gap of 0.005 to 0.010" to be "in spec". You might be able to get away with as low as 0.004, but with increased risk for binding, as above.