In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best hunting round for A 44 Super Blackhawk?

thomas36thomas36 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Need some help finding the best factory loads for a new Super Blackhawk! I will be spending alot of time in the mountains hunting and camping. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    muttermutter Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO, I've used 240 grn High velocity HP's for years. My ruger shoots these extremely well. I've only had one problem in all my years. I shot a Javelina between the eyes at 30 yards that was charging and the bullet bounced off his forehead. Luckily it stunned him long enough for me to give him a second heart shot. After that incident I started alternating rounds in the cylinders between HP and semi jacketed semi wad cutters. I always start with the HP but if I need the deep penetration I tag the critter with the semi wadcutter. Haven't had the problem since.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mk 7 says it all.
    ++
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that you specifically said factory loads but if you find some one close to you that handloads and will take the time to find what works best in your revolver it might be worth while to give it a try. I did it with my SRH and bought 80 rounds to hunt with 2 years ago. I still have about 65 rounds. These rounds group better than the factory stuff I plink with. If you want the load specs I will be happy to pass them along. I'm at work and will have to get the info tonight.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll follow Robin...a little.

You have been given good suggestions on factory ammo, but, you should buy some premium loadings and see which is best for YOUR gun.
    Try only the heaviest bullets in each loading. And, as referred to, a big SWC is an all-around utility pill.

For handloads. I have two SBH in 44mag ( 7-1/2").
    I was handloading already, but the sweet load put my groups at LESS than half the best factory ammo groups.

Last..I no longer give handloads to anyone. If ANYTHING happens, A N Y T H I N G, their wife, dad, brother, whatever, that just loves you, will turn and cut you to the bone.
    Man drops pistol - plugs bore - fatal firing = IT WAS THE RELOAD
    Gun is malfunctioning - fires out of time = IT WAS THE RELOAD
    Been There, my brother. Dismissed but court costs were 2 top-line AR's.

Now , I will LET TWO FRIENDS use my stuff, but that's it.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady has 44 mag in leverolution they shoot great haven't use any on live game yet.