In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 27 - Date of Manufacturer & Price?

krootzkrootz Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello;

I have a S&W Model 27 (no 27-2, etc...just says 27 when I open the cylinder) that I need to sell.

The serial number is 966XX.

Looks really nice with a bit of wear at the muzzle...not much.

Bluing is nice and deep and it has small S&W grips with the symbol.

The barrel is 6.5".

The barrel is pinned.

I see only 2 screws on the right side.

It's a nice solid gun...nice and tight.

What year was this made and what should I ask for it?

Thanks in advance! :)

(krootsie@gmail.com)

Comments

• Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the bottom of the grip frame for the serial number. If your number 966xx came from inside of the yoke it is more than likely an assembly number not the serial number.

Does the serial number have a prefix? An S or an N before the serial#?
    Serial# N1 through N99000 was 1969-1972.
    The 6.5 inch barrel was discontinued in 1967
    S95000-S102999 was 1953-1954.
    Look for a screw in the front of the trigger guard these were there until 1961.

As far as value pictures would help a lot.

Another place to ask your questions about value would be at www.smith-wessonforum.com A great bunch of people over there.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    krootzkrootz Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your fast response dg101win. :)

The serial number on the bottom of the handle is S and a big gap, then the numbers 1869XX.

There IS a single screw in front of the trigger guard.

Does this help?

I'll see if I can post pictures somehow...may be a few days. I am not sure I can post to this site...?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S 186900 places it 1958-1959.
    There is another sideplate screw located under the grips making yours what is referred to as a 4 screw.

Value possibly about $800 or so, maybe more but do not quote me on that. I am sure someone with a bit more experience than me will chime in soon. Do you have the box,paperwork and tools that came with it?
    Some pics would help a lot for others to help. You would need to put them on a site such as photobucket.com then post them here from photobucket.
    As I mentioned before the folks at the smith and wesson forum would have a better handle on this than I.