In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newb Questions

Team QuackTeam Quack Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Ok, I got some newbie questions never bought a gun off the net. I read all the "How do I buy" and some of the "How do I sell", but here are my questions:

1) Are all transactions FFL to FFL (i.e, both buyer and seller must be an FFL or go thru an FFL)?

2) Say you want to buy from a guy that this is his first gun to sell? Is there a lot of risk with buying from someone like this? What steps can you take as a buyer to reduce risk of buying from a seller like this?

3) If you are buying from a seller that is working thru a local FFL, can you send the money to the FFL, then have the FFL ship the gun? That would really lower risk, and if you could talk to the FFL about the gun, verify description of gun, then there would be very little risk if any.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    #1: No in most cases. Under Federal law an individual may ship a firearm without having to have it shipped by a FFL, but it must be shiped to a FFL. Although some states may require FFL to FFL only.

#2: There is also a risk involved with purchasing from someone who has sold other firearms via the net. Call the individual who is selling and talk with him. That will usually give you a good idea wheather or not he is an individual you want to buy from.

#3: It may be possible if his FFL is agreeable.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What 41nut said- with a couple of exceptions. Most muzzleloader, and true antique guns (made prior to 1899) do not have to go to a FFL. You CAN ship a modern gun directly without FFLs if BOTH parties live in the same state. If it crosses a state line, it must go TO a FFL. Some states (like NY) require handgun must come FROM a FFL TO FFL.

Risk of buying from non-rated buyer- yes, there is one- but everyone started at zero sometime. If you have good description, good pics, use the "Ask the seller a question" email feature on the auction, and talk with the seller. If it looks too good to be true- it IS too good to be true.

Would the shipping FFL as an escrow holder? Maybe. Most would not want to get into the middle of a transaction. Some would. Would be cautious about big $ deal with an unrated seller- here or anywhere. HOWEVER- I am a C&R FFL holder, have been buying guns on the net for several years- and have had good experiences. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments.

What's up with the "Featured Items" at the top vs "All items", do the "Featured" guys pay more or something to be at the top?
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they pay a small extra fee for that listing. Also some sellers will do a one, three or five day auction to keep their item near the top.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/User/Fees.asp
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the years, I have come up with a list of things I look for on an auction. If what I see makes me queasy, I back off fast. Things I look for:

1. Grammar - if the description seems to have been written by a Nigerian, I run.
    2. Photos - they should be focused, well-lit, & show the entire gun.
    3. Payment - if the seller will accept only Western Union or a bank wire, I run.
    4. Foreign - with the exception of a few guys who I know are legit, I never send money to another country.
    5. Return policy - seller should give a minimum of 3 days to return the item; he should be willing to refund shipping both ways if the item is not as he described it, or there is hidden damage. If he doesn't say, ask.
    6. Description - seller's description should be clear, concise, & complete. If he just gives a history lesson, I run.
    7. Additional photos - Ask for a photo of a part that he hasn't posted; if he says he can't take any more photos, be cautious. He'd better have a darn good reason.
    8. Before paying....verify his name/address/phone with an online service like www.anywho.com ; if he flies below the net, get some kind of verification of who he is, like a drivers license, reference, school directory, etc.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal thats some great info!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also note that some FFL's make up their own rules. Some will accept a firearm only if shipped by another FFL. Not required by BATF, but they can and some do restrict what they receive that way.

Establish communication with the seller. Ask questions before you buy, if they don't want to bother with you, take your business elsewhere.