In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig 220 Carry Elite Problem

kamikazetsunamiskamikazetsunamis Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
My Sig 220 Carry Elite is not feeding it's 8th and last round correctly. This is a very new gun, so it has nothing to do with my neglect.

I have noticed two different feed issues. Both having to deal with the last round.

1. Round only goes in halfway and then jams.

2. And the last round does not load. Still in mag, but looks like it is a 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch low in the magizine. Slide closes, no round fed.

any Ideas

Comments

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Get a new magazine, throw away the old one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im supposed to toss out two new original sig mags? You nuts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What you describe - according to my SIG armorer's training - is a magazine issue. It could be one of a few things, but it's your mag that's causing this.

If you bought it new and it came with these mags, contact them and describe the issue you're experiencing. They'll make it right.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the magazine disassembles and you can get a replacement, you can try changing the follower spring.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You could go through the mag replacing one part at a time, then be stuck with finding it's a defective tube. If it's new, just have SIG replace it and move on.

If not and you want to try getting one running yourself, start with a full cleaning then closely inspect each part. It could be something as simple as a burr on the follower or a mag spring installed backwards. If not thoroughly familiar with the internals of these mags, disassemble your working mag and use it for comparison during your inspection.

If you still don't see anything obvious, replace your non-working mag's parts one at a time with parts from your working mag to narrow it down.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kamikazetsunamis
    Im supposed to toss out two new original sig mags? You nuts?

Well you have a few options. Since it is fairly new, you can contact Sig, and see what they will do for you. You might get a couple more mags, and some replacement parts for the original.

You can try to find someone who has a 220, that does feed, and try one of their magazines in yours, to make sure it is the magazine. If it is, then present this to Sig, and see what they will do for you.

Lastly, seeing since you are determined that these are NEW magazines and they ARE going to be made to work, keep them, and experience more of the same trouble you are having.

You also might see as your gun is new, if it has been prepped and lubed properly including the magazines. When they come from the factory, they are prepped for long term storage. They need to be field stripped, thouroughly cleaned, degreased, and lubricated for service. just wiping down the outside to make them look pretty on the store shelf does not count.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I have been doing some more research and discovered a few things.

I know we are not suppose to post other forums, but its no secret about the Sig forum, so I came across this article.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=430601935&m=8071078911

The picture show, "It's a little hard to see the pic, but the extractor is NOT touching the bullet case at all. The ammo is a .45ACP Federal EFMJ 200gr. +P. Yet it STILL snagged!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It will take more reports of self-fixes to be certain, but this is the most reasonable explanation of the problem I've run across yet.

The correlation with the last round out of the magazine has always puzzled me. It was an indication that because the last round is under less spring pressure that was contributing to the problem rather than that there was a problem with the magazine itself. This was especially true because I couldn't believe that a bunch of mags that had worked fine with older 220s had suddenly gone south. The extractor thing just didn't seem right, either; as quikz points out, the case rim should slip up behind the hook regardless of how stiff or flimsy the extractor is.

It has also always puzzled me why the problem was limited almost exclusively to the Carry model. If the shorter slides are manufactured on a different machine that produces a slightly different angle at the trouble spot, that could explain why that is true.

Again, it looks like this was a good catch; let's hope so.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem sounds complex, almost like the shorter/lighter slide has more velocity causing the extractor to slip off the rim. It could be that there is enough more slide velocity in conjunction with a weak mag spring that the last round is not feeding fast enough too. I would change the mag spring...after a good thourough cleaning and proper lubrication.