In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 622 barrel removal help

coolhandluke1coolhandluke1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have the tool to remove the barrel nut and lockwasher, but I don't see an obvious way to free the chamber end. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to use something to take the tension off the recoil spring. They come with an orange "flag" that doubles as a chamber-empty flag. You can use that to hold the spring and lift up on the horse-shoe block on the top.

You only need to remove the barrel nut and barrel a time or two in the lifetime of the gun after extensive use. I have over 100,000 rounds through mine, with probably 10,000 rounds using a suppressor wich makes the area around the barrel dirtier it seems.

Here's a video for the visual learners like myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAEB1L2s_N0
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    coolhandluke1coolhandluke1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I know how to remove S&W 622 Recoil Spring&Guide Rod and the Slide using the orange-tool in conjunction with the Recoil Guide Plug.

Then I loosen and remove the front barrel nut and lockwasher using a tool designed for this purpose.

This leaves the chamber barrel end loose, but I see no obvious way to free the loose barrel assembly from the interfering internal parts short of removing the entire left grip attached parts.
    This looks scary to me, as I see springs and pins badly misbehaving. Has anyone had the nerve to do this and then reassemble the guts correctly?
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember the gun has to either be cocked or fired before disassembly (I don't remember which). Try it both ways. I have a 422, 622, 2213, & 2214 and have had the barrel out of all of them and I also took the grips off to clean under there, but I don't remember having to take anything major apart to get the barrel out. However, the last full clean I did was on my 422 and that has been a few years.
    I know you can download the manual from S&W and even request a new printed one. If I remember right however, it doesn't show removing the barrel.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.