In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Largest bolt receiver action to fit a .223 caliber

SpartaSparta Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to perhaps build a .223 bolt action rifle, and I was wondering what size (caliber) or type (maker) action could be used for this project. What actions would be out of the question and what actions would be appropriate...new or vintage.

thanks

clement

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sparta,

You could technically use any size action so long as the boltface/extractor, magazine/follower and the feeding geometry was correct. The Remington M700 SA can be set up to feed all short action cartridges from the .17 Rem. Fireball to the .325 WSM. This includes the .223 Rem. also.

Actions from the past which have been scaled down for the smaller cartridges include the Sako A1 and all variation on that theme and the Interarms Mark X Mini-Mauser. Finding either of these as an 'action only' will be a timing activity. It will take time and that time could be long. The Sako actions come up NIB and in the white on rare occasions but they are becoming more scare. You might find one used but those prices are seeing all-time highs these days. The Mini-Mausers might be easier and less expensive.

Good Luck!

Best.

ADDED:

Your comment regarding the cost of the Remington M7 is understandable but also denotes a price sensitivity.

The reason I bring this up is to mention that Cooper Firearms has offered the Stutzen (full-stock) stocked rifles as an option previously. They would be worth a call since the actions are scaled and you could get a great looking stock to go with it.

Best.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the vintage milspec actions, like the Mauser 98, will have bolt faces of too large a diameter for the .223rem case and thus not be suitable for such a project. The cost to make a new bolt or convert one would be extreem. Back in the day the 22-250 may have been invented because of the large numbers of actions available in the 8mm or 30-06 bolt face which is compatable with the 250sav parent case. Custom rifles usually are built with a particular need in mind. Often it is because your desired rifle is not available as you would want it. But, with the large numbers of quality .223 rifles available in today's market, in the multitude of configurations offered, someone should be offering something close to what you have in mind. So, why would you want to build an expensive custom? Still, if you really want to go ahead with the project you might just want to buy a .223 rilfe to scrap out for the parts that you will need. If I was to go that route I'd probably start with a CZ527 as they come with a really good single set trigger. Good luck with it.....
  • Options
    JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sparta
    I am looking to perhaps build a .223 bolt action rifle, and I was wondering what size (caliber) or type (maker) action could be used for this project. What actions would be out of the question and what actions would be appropriate...new or vintage.

thanks

clement

If you are trying to build a nice one on a budget I'd just pick up a Howa 1500, drop some decent glass on it and enjoy. I've got a heavy barreled 1500 with a boyds stock and timney trigger and a decent Weaver that is an absolute tack driver, I picked it up as equipped for $400.00.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure why/what you're asking but the largest/longest action would be the Savage 110 with a /223 boltface. Same action as 30/06 but with a different boltstop and magazine.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sparta

thanks

clement

How about a Remington 788 action? Very fast lock time and a stiff receiver, easy to mount a scope.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Nononsense pointed out above, the Interarms/Charles Daly Mini-Mauser actions come up on auction from time to time. Sometimes they are barreled actions, and sometimes they are just the actions.

Montana Rifleman (montanarifleman.com) has planned to offer a mini-action for a number of years, but has deferred the initiative, probably due to financial and economic considerations. I would suggest going to their website, and perhaps giving them a call to inquire about timeframes of offering the action. If they move ahead with their plans to make one, it would be a quality little mauser type, controlled round feed, etc.

I just checked their website, and it indicates that no timeframe has been established. This implies to me that they are waiting for demand to be demonstrated in the marketplace before they spend the $$$$ to move forward with tooling, marketing, and buying materials, etc. Sincere expressions of interest would tend to move them along perhaps.

If it were me, I would prefer the mauser-types to the Remington 700 SA, but it all boils down to personal preferences and availability.

A Ruger short-action or .308 length action might also be a possibility for you.
  • Options
    billingham420billingham420 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A going-out-of-business hardware store was offering a new but very shelf-worn short-action post-64 Winchester model 70 Ranger in .223 for a song. Couldn't get it to shoot, no matter what... glass bedding, tension screws, new scopes, re-crowned barrel, etc. Finally, in desperation, I lopped 3" off the end (short, rigid barrel) and now it goes under an inch at a hundred yards with ANYTHING that will fit in the chamber.

Gotta believe a long-action M70 would do a .223 as well.

Any used post-64 ought to be pretty cheap.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the short action Sako actions would be among the Crema de la Creme for your project. One of my longtime shooting buddies had one of these in .223 in a Harrington and Richardson configuration 30 years ago, and it was a very sweet little package that accounted for a terrible number of dead terrorist squirrels and rockchucks.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FN once made their M98-type full-size Mauser commercial sporter action as a single-shot with a .223-size bolt face. Along with an extractor for the smaller than '06 size rim, fitting one of these would convert any full-size military or sporter 98 Mauser to a single-shot .223 action.

Who has these bolts? I have a couple. New, unfitted.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The CZ 527 is a great little 223 Rem action.